[tor-reports] Tails report for July, 2015

BitingBird bitingbird at riseup.net
Tue Aug 11 16:13:52 UTC 2015

July started frenetically, with the postponed release on the 3rd. Then
we had a Tails contributors meeting, and it was lots of fun and hard
work. We decided broad directions for the incoming years, that you'll
see in our Roadmap
(https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/roadmap). We also
reevaluated our processes and tools, and had a dance party. Tails
contributors are ready to go on doing amazing work :)

[[!toc]]

Releases
========

* Tails 1.4.1 was released on July 3rd, 2015
(https://tails.boum.org/news/version_1.4.1) (minor release).

* The next release (1.5) is planned for August 11
(https://tails.boum.org/contribute/calendar/).

Code
====

## Upgrades and changes

- Upgrade Tor Browser to 4.5.3, based on Firefox 31.8.0 ESR.

- Upgrade Tor to 0.2.6.9-1~d70.wheezy+1+tails2.

- Upgrade Linux to 3.16.7-ckt11-1.

## Fixed problems

- Have AppArmor deny Tor Browser access to the list of recently used files.

- Fix automatic upgrades in Windows Camouflage mode.

Documentation and website
=========================

* We documented how to reset a USB stick or SD card using Mac OS X
(https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/reset/mac).

* FAQ: Should I manually update add-ons included in Tor Browser?
(https://tails.boum.org/support/faq#add-ons_update)

* Adapted the documentation because the LAN is now only accessible from
the Unsafe Browser (https://tails.boum.org/doc/advanced_topics/lan).

User experience
===============

* We rediscussed the terminology around installation media and decided
  to only advertise SD cards as a corner case.

* Clarified the thread model of the automatic ISO verification extension
  regarding attacks inside the browser
(https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/extension#inside_the_browser).

* There was some work on the Greeter
(https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/2015-July/000507.html)

Infrastructure
==============

* Our test suite covers 185 scenarios, 3 more that in April.

* All active development branches are now
  built automatically with Jenkins (see
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5324). This is the first stage towards
  integrating our automated test suite at the core of our software
  development process, and to run it continuously on our development
  versions while they are being developed.

* We started a discussion about having a CRM to handle our user support
requests.
See https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/CRM_for_frontdesk/

* We made progess on the automated tests
  specification
(https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2015-July/009160.html),
  and started working on the corresponding underlying infrastructure,
  starting with extending the storage capacity on our main server and
  creating a bunch of new virtual machines.

* We are almost done porting our ISO build system to Debian Jessie.
See https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/9262

Outreach
========

Upcoming events
---------------

* Andres Gomez, intrigeri and others will present a technical overview
of Tails
(https://summit.debconf.org/debconf15/meeting/289/tails-a-technical-overview/)
at DebConf15 (http://debconf15.debconf.org/) in Heidelberg, Germany, on
August 15th.

* Some Tails contributors will be at the Chaos Communication Camp
(https://events.ccc.de/camp/2015/wiki/Main_Page) in Mildenberg, Germany,
August 13 - 17th.

On-going discussions
====================

* intrigeri issued a call for help
(https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2015-July/009237.html).

* KillYourTV shared his Opensearch plugins for Mozilla-based browsers
(https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2015-July/009281.html) -
they might be interesting for Tails contributors and curious :)

* Reuben Abrams informed us of his project of a safe distribution for
ARM-based Chromebooks
(https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-project/2015-July/000246.html).

Press and testimonials
======================

* 2015-07-29: Gut geschützt im Internetcafé:
http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2015-07/urlaub-internetcafe-mail-facebook
by Johannes Wendt in Zeit (in German).

* 2015-07-27: מדריך: כך תתגוננו מפני מעקב ברשת:
http://mekomit.co.il/%D7%94%D7%AA%D7%92%D7%95%D7%A0%D7%A0%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%9E%D7%A4%D7%A0%D7%99-%D7%9E%D7%A2%D7%A7%D7%91-%D7%A8%D7%A9%D7%AA%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%97%D7%91%D7%A8%D7%AA%D7%99%D7%95%D7%AA/
(in Hebrew).

* 2015-07-25: 'Tails' Bantu Amankan Aktivis Daring:
http://www.pikiran-rakyat.com/horison/2015/07/25/335754/tails-bantu-amankan-aktivis-daring
in Pikiran Rakyat (in Indonesian).

* 2015-07-23: Digital Solution Helps Shield Online Activists:
http://www.voanews.com/content/digital-solution-helps-shield-online-activists/2873529.html
by Doug Bernard in Voice of America.

* 2015-07-14: Chatting in Secret While We're All Being Watched:
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/07/14/communicating-secret-watched/
by Micah Lee in The Intercept.

Translation
===========

All website PO files
--------------------

  - de: 19% (1274) strings translated, 0% strings fuzzy, 17% words
translated
  - fr: 46% (3120) strings translated, 2% strings fuzzy, 43% words
translated
  - pt: 27% (1863) strings translated, 3% strings fuzzy, 26% words
translated

Total original words: 76959

[[Core PO files|contribute/l10n_tricks/core_po_files.txt]]
--------------------------------------

  - de: 60% (803) strings translated, 0% strings fuzzy, 68% words translated
  - fr: 92% (1214) strings translated, 3% strings fuzzy, 92% words
translated
  - pt: 84% (1119) strings translated, 8% strings fuzzy, 87% words
translated

Total original words: 14258

Metrics
=======

* Tails has been started more than 429.889 times this month. This makes
13.867 boots a day on average.

* 24.256 downloads of the OpenPGP signature of Tails ISO from our website.

* 89 bug reports were received through WhisperBack.