[tor-reports] Tails report for June, 2015

BitingBird bitingbird at riseup.net
Tue Aug 4 14:50:48 UTC 2015

The release date for Tails 1.4.1 had been postponed because Mozilla
changed their release schedule.  It was released in the beginning of
July. Once again, this report consists of non-code news :)

Releases
========

* The next release (1.5) is planned for August 11.
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/calendar/

* We decided on a new version number scheme.
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/release_schedule#versioning

Documentation and website
=========================

* A small note about non-free firmware was added to our licence
page.
https://tails.boum.org/doc/about/license

* Our documentation for reviewers now explains how to do a good and nice
review.
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/merge_policy/review

* We warn that *Tails OpenPGP Applet* can lead to encoding problems for
emails.
https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet/public-key_cryptography#encoding

User experience
===============

- On the Installation Assistant
(https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/assistant/):
  - We wrote a full synopsis of the installation process for Windows
(https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/assistant/windows/),
submitted it for review, and started testing it
(https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/9202).

  - We started writing an ikiwiki and Bootstrap prototype of the
Installation Assistant in
https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/log/?h=web/assistant.

* People are working on the Greeter mockups
(https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/2015-June/000437.html).

Infrastructure
external websites were archiving it anyway.

* Great progress was made towards automatically build all active
branches (https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6196) with Jenkins. Live
deployment is now a matter of days.

* We have specified (https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8649) the
requirements for our upcoming monitoring system.

Funding
=======

* If you want to help us develop and maintain Tails, please
donate: https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/donate :)

* We sent our final report for the Access Innovation Prize received in
  March 2014.

* We submitted our second quarterly report to the Digital Defenders
Partnership (https://digitaldefenders.org/).

Outreach
========

* A workshop about
Tails
(http://www.lacantine-brest.net/event/atelier-datalove-tails-x-tor/)
took place on June 18th in Brest, France.

* Tchou and Fiodor Tonti gave a talk about Tails and
UX
(https://www.passageenseine.org/fr/programme/2015/jeudi-18-juin/grande-salle/atelier-design-tails)
in Pas Sage en Seine 2015 at NUMA in Paris, France on June 18th. The
video is online (https://www.passageenseine.org/fr/archives-et-videos/)
and it has already received positive feedback. :)

* A workshop about Tor and Tails
(https://jardin-entropique.eu.org/ateliers) was held in Rennes, France,
during the Jardin entropique event on June 28th.

Upcoming events
---------------

* A talk about Tails will take place during DebConf15
(http://debconf15.debconf.org/) in August in Heidelberg, Germany.

* Please let us know if you organize an event about Tails, we'll be glad
to announce it :)

On-going discussions
====================

* We discussed our release versioning
(https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2015-June/009132.html) and
decided upon a new way to do it: always increment the first number with
major Debian version, or whenever it makes sense for Tails only
(user-visible changes); second number: even for bugfix releases, odd for
major ones; an extra 3rd number will be added for emergency releases.

* intrigeri started a discussion about tightening a bit the Evince and
Totem AppArmor policy
(https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2015-June/009007.html).

* genghiskant proposed making a fork of Tails without non-free firmware
(https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2015-June/009023.html).

* We're talking about the design of a persistent Tor state
(https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2015-June/009095.html).

* We're also discussing the automated tests specification
(https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2015-June/009123.html).

Press and testimonials
======================

* We gave an interview to Amaelle Guiton from Libération about our
relationship with the Tor ecosystem
(http://www.liberation.fr/economie/2015/06/18/tor-mails-toi-de-tes-oignons_1332660).

* We provided some data to Patrick Howell O'Neill from The Daily Dot for
his article about The state of encryption tools, 2 years after
Snowden leaks
(https://www.dailydot.com/politics/encryption-since-snowden-trending-up/).

Translation
===========

All website PO files
--------------------

  - de: 18% (1256) strings translated, 0% strings fuzzy, 17% words
translated
  - fr: 45% (3046) strings translated, 2% strings fuzzy, 43% words
translated
  - pt: 28% (1861) strings translated, 3% strings fuzzy, 26% words
translated

Total original words: 76665

[[Core PO files|contribute/l10n_tricks/core_po_files.txt]]
--------------------------------------

  - de: 60% (791) strings translated, 1% strings fuzzy, 68% words translated
  - fr: 91% (1205) strings translated, 4% strings fuzzy, 92% words
translated
  - pt: 84% (1119) strings translated, 8% strings fuzzy, 87% words
translated

Total original words: 14258

Metrics
=======

* Tails has been started more than 391,084 times this month. This makes
13,036 boots a day on average.

* 19,284 downloads of the OpenPGP signature of Tails ISO from our website.

* 57 bug reports were received through WhisperBack.

-- Report by BitingBird for Tails folks