[tor-reports] dgoulet's April 2015

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Thu Apr 30 20:21:14 UTC 2015

# Status report for April 2015

- Attended SponsorR quaterly meeting in Washington DC

  April 12th to 17th. Wrote a report on tor-internal at .

- Review TorSoP proposals and made comment on some of them.

  Tor has accepted DonnchaC for the SoP. I will be his primary mentor and
  George the secondary. Pretty excited to start this project!

  Proposal here:
  https://gist.github.com/DonnchaC/03ad5cd0b8ead0ae9e30

- Worked on the tor CVEs released on the 6th fixed in a new tor release. Turns
  out that #15515 was (is) a pretty serious DoS on hidden service.

  This attack has been observed in the network after we've deployed the fix and
  a warning.

- Worked on the HS popularity leak issue.

  See ticket #15714 for more information which is a parent ticket that is part
  of the complete issue of popularity. Also #4862 analysis and replied.

- Improved functionnalities of the HS health monitoring tool. (#13209)

  https://gitlab.com/hs-health/hs-health

  It's now running full time. Also, big win for this tool, detection of #15801
  (described in next bullet point).

- Worked on #15801 which is a pretty serious issue where right now ~35% of
  HSDir in the network are not usable.

  Out of this, two tickets came to life and one of them reviving proposal 237.
  * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15849
  * https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15850

- Review and work on multiple patches for 0.2.7. Here some that worth
  mentionning:

  #15816: bug found by Yawning after the HSFECTH (#14847) was merged. With that
  ticket we got #15822 fixed and #15881 fully implemented.

  #6411: big review (ADD_ONION feature from Yawning).

  #14917: Important issue that I was able to reproduce and added a proposed
  solution. We don't have consensus on it yet. Please commnet! :)

  #14391: Finally merged! It's a big refactor of the HS descriptor cache lookup
  function.