[tor-reports] What Matt did August 2014

Matt Pagan matt at pagan.io
Tue Sep 9 20:27:40 UTC 2014

What Matt did August 2014
=========================

* I built Tor Expert Bundles for tor 0.2.5.6. Afterwards, I learned that
the
  bundles need to be built deterministically to be released, so I did
  not try to get the bundles I made hosted on the website.

* I wrote a patch for #8376 ("Tor expert bundle requires "Run as
  Administrator" to install on Win 7 (and Win 8?)")

* I wrote a patch for Tor in #12830 ("Links in Tor's README are outdated").

* I contributed to the 57th, 59th, and 60th editions of Tor Weekly News.

* I reported on Help Desk issues during each weekly Tor Browser meetings.

* I agreed to start responding to requests for Tor weather T shirts.

* Below, I've categorized every single one of the 220 help desk tickets
  I resolved in August.

-------------------------

[17] - empty email
[13] - "Could not connect"
[ 9] - Tor no longer works; I'm in Iran.
[ 8] - Request for bridges
[ 8] - I'm in China. My bridges don't work.
[ 7] - A copy of FireFox is already open *OR* Firefox is already
       running, but is not responding
[ 5] - "Tor unexpectedlly exited"
[ 5] - My university blocks connections to Tor
[ 5] - "Does not work"
[ 4] - [WARN] Proxy Client: unable to connect to xx.xxx.xxx.x:80
       ("general SOCKS server failure") [NOTICE] Pluggable transport
       proxy (fte exec Tor\PluggableTransports\fteproxy --managed) does
       not provide any needed transports and will not be launched.
       [NOTICE] Pluggable transport proxy (flashproxy exec
       Tor\PluggableTransports\flashproxy-client --register :0 :9000)
       does not provide any needed transports and will not be launched.
       [WARN] Proxy Client: unable to connect to xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:45496
       ("general SOCKS server failure")
[ 4] - [WARN] Problem bootstrapping. Stuck at 45%: Asking for relay
       descriptors. (Connection timed out [WSAETIMEDOUT ]; TIMEOUT;
       count 23; recommendation warn) [WARN] 22 connections have
       failed: [WARN] 21 connections died in state connect()ing with
       SSL state (No SSL object) [WARN] 1 connections died in state
       handshaking (TLS) with SSL state SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
       in HANDSHAKE
[ 3] - What can I do to help Tor?
[ 3] - "The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try
       again in a few moments. If you are unable to load any pages,
       check your computer's network connection." in Mac Tor Browser.
[ 3] - Something Went Wrong! Tor is not working in this browser.
[ 3] - How do I use Tor to circumvent Cyberoam firewall?
[ 2] - Windows Defender blocks Tor
[ 2] - Will using an email client while using Tor Browser deanonymize
       me?
[ 2] - Why does the browser at certain times hang for 4 to 5 minutes,
       and sometimes for an indefinite time? I use hotspot shield.
[ 2] - Why doesn't the relay I set up/the exit node I'm using show up
       in Atlas or Globe?
[ 2] - [WARN] Problem bootstrapping. Stuck at 5%: Connecting to
       directory server. (Network is unreachable; NOROUTE; count 3;
       recommendation warn)
[ 2] - [WARN] Problem bootstrapping. Stuck at 50%: Loading relay
       descriptors. (Network is unreachable [WSAENETUNREACH ]; NOROUTE;
       count 7; recommendation warn)
[ 2] - Tor hangs when starting Tor Browser (unspecified)
[ 2] - Tor hangs at Loading Authority certificates.
[ 2] - Tor gets stuck loading, saying my clock is incorrect.
[ 2] - Please email me Tor Browser
[ 2] - I installed Tor Browser. Where is it?
[ 2] - I have a machine that is not running Tor and my packet sniffer
       says it is connecting to Tor non-exit relays.
[ 2] - How to watch videos with UK-based location restrictions.
[ 2] - How to verify the key fingerprint using GPG?
[ 2] - How to turn my router into a transparent Tor proxy.
[ 2] - Establishing a circuit failed.
[ 2] - Can I use Tor to stream Netflix/Hulu?
[ 1] - 'Your Tor Software is Out-of-date - You are currently running
       version "0.2.4.22 (git-2ee56e4c2c841a45)" of the Tor software,
       which may no longer work with the current Tor network.'
[ 1] - Would you agree or disagree that the safest way to set up tor
       and secure my web browsing is by setting up a private bridge on
       a non-VPS server and only connecting to Tor through my private
       bridge?
[ 1] - Windows 8.1 Maintenance Center's Reliability history says "Tor
       Browse is not working"
[ 1] - Why does my connection appear to be coming from all these
       different hostnames?
[ 1] - Why do Amazon cloud bridges default to US location instead of a
       different country?
[ 1] - Why can't I see the network connections in my Vidalia Bridge
       Bundle?
[ 1] - Why am I receiving spam at the email I put in my relay's
       ContactInfo field?
[ 1] - Who is to say that when I log into some website that I am still
       being tracked because the government has already figured you
       folks out and created a way to track people and you not know it?
[ 1] - Where can I get more information about Tor?
[ 1] - When using Tor Browser, how to keep my IP address from changing
       so quickly?
[ 1] - When starting Tor Browser: ‘WerFault.exe - Application
       Error’ ‘Click on OK to terminate the program’
[ 1] - when I have downloaded the tor bundle and I go to my file's to
       open it says I havent got the right application
[ 1] - whenever I try to open "hubpages.com" it won't load.
[ 1] - whenever I connect to HMA VPN, Tor will not connect. When I
       disconnect from HMA, it works.
[ 1] - What is the status of the torouter project?
[ 1] - What can an adversary see when I connect to Tor?
[ 1] - [WARN] The https proxy refused to allow connection to
       xx.xxx.xxx.xxx (status code 403, "Forbidden"). Closing.
[ 1] - [warn] eventdns: All nameservers have failed [notice] eventdns:
       Nameserver 127.0.1.1:53 is back up
[ 1] - Vidalia does not connect to Tor.
[ 1] - After using Tor Browser, I fear that my web accounts are no
       longer secure.
[ 1] - "Update" function in ghostery works in Firefox but not Tor
       Browser.
[ 1] - "Unable to save settings. Make sure that the Tor is running"
[ 1] - Tor starts but browser components aren't launching.
[ 1] - Tor Project should montior the Tor relays to make sure they are
       not malicious.
[ 1] - Tor failed to establish a Tor network connection. Connecting to
       a relay directory failed (missing pluggable transport).
[ 1] - Torbutton: Error clearing NoScript Temporary Permissions:
       TypeError: Components.classes['@maone.net/noscript-service;1']
       is undefined
[ 1] - Tor allows a user to login to DISQUS but nothing seems to be
       passed on to the site.
[ 1] - Toolbar and bookmarks in Tor Browser 3.6.3 are still in English
       even though I downloaded the German version.
[ 1] - The Tor Project should make a program that disguises the fact
       that you are using Tor.
[ 1] - Orbot shows that it is connected to Tor network, while the log
       shows that Tor is only 20-30% done.
[ 1] - Should I use Tor or a VPN?
[ 1] - Should I donate to the Tor Project or run a relay?
[ 1] - Request for Tor to use its reputation for expertise in science
       fiction blogging to promote a new comic book.
[ 1] - One of the Tor relays I operate has "Fingerprint is marked
       rejected" in the log.
[ 1] - Is the Tor Project aware that Russia has offered 100000 USD to
       anyone who can deanonymize Tor users?
[ 1] - [NOTICE] I learned some more directory information, but not
       enough to build a circuit: We have no recent usable consensus.
[ 1] - [NOTICE] Bridge at '0.0.1.0:1' isn't reachable by our firewall
       policy. Skipping. [NOTICE] Bridge at '0.0.1.0:4' isn't reachable
       by our firewall policy. Skipping. [NOTICE] Bridge at '0.0.1.0:5'
       isn't reachable by our firewall policy. Skipping. [NOTICE]
       Bridge at '0.0.1.0:2' isn't reachable by our firewall policy.
       Skipping. [NOTICE] Bridge at '0.0.1.0:3' isn't reachable by our
       firewall policy. Skipping.
[ 1] - Neither Tor + Chrome nor Tor + Firefox is able to connect.
[ 1] - Doesn't Tor by default let everybody know that you are using
       Tor? Isn't that a bit self-defeating?
[ 1] - LinkedIn doesn't work with Tor Browser
[ 1] - Why isn't my relay being used more?
[ 1] - After reading http://www.wired.com/2014/08/operation_torpedo/,
       I am worried that using Tor will bring me to the attention of
       the FBI. Is there a backdoor in Tor that lets the FBI in?
[ 1] - Many sites I go to require Javascript. If I have understood the
       situation, this is contrary to your advice. I have to use an
       insecure browser session which seems counterproductive.
[ 1] - Why is Javascript enabled?
[ 1] - Is it possible to use Javascript with Tor Browser?
[ 1] - Is there a correct way to briefly shut down a relay for restart
       to upgrade server files?
[ 1] - After disabling Javascript, I opened the page
       www.stayinvisible.com,
       which shows "NOTE: You are very visible with disabled Javascript
       nowadays"; can that website detect my real IP address with
       disabled JS?
[ 1] - Is it safe to use Word and Powerpoint when using Tor Browser
       since I know they automatically update?
[ 1] - Is it possible to create anonymous blogs through TOR?
[ 1] - Is it advantageous or even possible to operate one relay with
       more than one ORPort?
[ 1] - I purchased the port forward config program but I still get the
       warning that my dir port and OR port are not able to be seen.
[ 1] - Can Tor Browser can be used safely with other programs open or
       running?
[ 1] - I installed Tor from Ubuntu's repositories before I saw your
       warning to use the Tor Project's repository. Now how do I get
       started browsing with Tor?
[ 1] - I have too many copies of Tor and can't delete them. "File is
       open".
[ 1] - I am traveling and was a victim or theft and assault. Can the
       Tor Project help me?
[ 1] - My browser freezes up and I have to restart when attempting to
       restore previous bookmarks. Versions before 3.6.3 I had no
       problems with this.
[ 1] - I get an error message using Tor Browser in the admin account of
       Macbook Pro.
[ 1] - I can't find my hidden service hostname at
       /var/lib/tor/hidden_service/hostname.
[ 1] - How to use Tor without changing my inaccurate clock/timezone.
[ 1] - How to use Tor with a proxy.
[ 1] - How to use Tor on SymbianOS.
[ 1] - How to use Tor Browser in China.
[ 1] - How to use Polipo with Vidalia.
[ 1] - How to uninstall Tor Browser.
[ 1] - How to set up a relay on Kubuntu.
[ 1] - How to set the home page in Tor Browser.
[ 1] - How to prevent portscanning from taking place on my exit relay.
[ 1] - How to open ports in my home firewall.
[ 1] - How to install Tor Browser (on a Mac).
[ 1] - How to install Tor Browser (general).
[ 1] - How to get Tor on Android.
[ 1] - How to get a public key from keyserver using GPG.
[ 1] - How to copy Tor log to clipboard.
[ 1] - How is Tor addressing the problems the CERT researchers were
       talking about?
[ 1] - How I can I get around Afghanistan's censorship of Tor?
[ 1] - How does Tor Browser handle cookies?
[ 1] - How can I get the latest version of Tor Browser? The version I
       have says it's from 1999.
[ 1] - Error window: Tor connection timed out
[ 1] - Does Tor secure the filenames and file contents being downloaded
       and uploaded from interception by packet sniffers?
[ 1] - {Orbot} Control Port config file does not yet exist (waiting for
       tor): /data/data/org.torproject.android/app_bin/control.txt
       waiting...
[ 1] - Connections to indianvisaonline.gov times out when using Tor.
[ 1] - Can you help me set up my torrc to run a relay?
[ 1] - Can you direct me to any Tor Hidden Service shopping sites?
[ 1] - Can I use Tor to send an anonymous email that cannot be traced
       back to me?
[ 1] - Can I use Tor Browser with Microsoft Silverlight?
[ 1] - Can I run my imacros script in Tor Browser?
[ 1] - Can I make Tor Browser my default browser?
[ 1] - After having used Tor Browser for a while, starting Tor Browser
       opens the browser without starting Tor, and I can't visit any
       website.