[tor-reports] Griffin's August

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Mon Sep 8 07:50:59 UTC 2014

USENIX:FOCI

   I attended FOCI on the advice of Roger, and found it to be an
extremely positive and informative experience.  As part of this, I had
many fruitful discussions with colleagues and discussed the possibility
of co-authoring papers.  Happily, many members of the community were
there, which made the event less stressful and more productive.  It was
the first academic conference I've ever been to.

   While in San Diego, I also attended a meeting between DRL and people
actively working on censorship circumvention projects.

   Discussed my ongoing software distribution efforts and ways to expand
them with Roger.  He suggested that I automate, and offered bandwidth.
Both are helpful!

   Virgil was there and we had some long discussions about Tor network
metrics and his research in this area.  We also spoke about his research
into alternative incentive models for anonymity networks.

Stormy

   Testing continued into early August.  Mid-August, I decided that a
full rewrite was in order.  The goal of the rewrite is to both improve
flow and make it easier to maintain.  Stormy is slated to be released
internally on September 15th, and publicly September 30th.  I also
agreed to give an interview about the project in September, with the
goal of minimizing the need for future interviews.  Reporters are scary.

Cupcake

   Formally requested an extension on the timeline covered by Cupcake's
Open Tech Fund grant.  (This is not an increase in funding, but rather a
time extension for a subset of deliverables).  This has been quite a
learning experience!  Namely, I've learned to not request funding for a
deliverable that's dependent on a third party.

Satori

   I've scoped out how I'd like to expand the features of Satori and
future automation plans, some of which is dependent on future funding.

Research

   Met with Researcher A to discuss a possible fellowship at his
university.  Researcher J recommended that I also apply to become a
Berkman fellow in March.  Researcher H suggested various routes to
publication for more sensitive research topics, and was very receptive
to feedback on his research.  Researcher N suggested that I *not* pursue
a master's degree (if I don't get into my desired PhD program), and
instead spend that time on independent work.  I have to agree.

Events

   Finalized plans to be at Arse Elektronika from October 2-5, where I
will be presenting on the impact of surveillance on sexuality.  Agreed
to attend Aspiration Tech's NPdev meeting in SF/November.  Submitted
talk to 31c3 on common ways activists are hacked and surveilled (with an
emphasis on China).  Discussions around Circumvention Tech Festival
panels on user experience and a closed-door session for trans people are
ongoing.

Paperwork

   August was a key time for several deadlines close together.  Between
research fellowship applications, grant applications, paper ideas,
presentation outlines, and contact with researchers there was quite a
bit of writing.

Illness

   For the last week of August and into the first week of September, I
was taken ill with an infection.  The intervention of heavy-duty pain
medicines (plural) and antibiotics helped quite a bit.  Feeling much

best,
Griffin

--
"I believe that usability is a security concern; systems that do
not pay close attention to the human interaction factors involved