[tor-reports] Yawning's August 2014

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Wed Sep 3 18:20:01 UTC 2014

(First time writing one of these, hopefully I don't miss anything.)

Here's what I did in August:

 * Worked on getting obfs4 ready for deployment[0].

   * Cleaned up/refactored/rewrote a good amount of the obfs4
     implementation to be "better"[1][2].

   * Updated the tor-browser-bundle patch that includes obfs4 and made
     it into a real branch[3].

   * Released 2 series of obfs4 test bundles to tor-dev@[4][5].

 * Cleaned up and wrote unit tests for my goptlib SOCKSv5 branch[6].

 * The last bits of co-mentor type stuff for the wfpadtools GSOC
   project.

 * Filed/Reviewed/Commented on (nb: List not comprehensive):
   * Implement new option SocksSocket[7]

   * scramblesuit: 'State' object has no attribute 'closingThreshold'[8]

   * Someone, somewhere needs to unescape pluggable transport
     "SMETHOD ARGS" arguments.[9]

   * TOR_PT_SERVER_TRANSPORT_OPTIONS are not escaped according to
     pt-spec.txt[10]

   * Invalid SOCKS5 response to UDP associate request[11]

   * TBB needs to include the Go license[12]

Other noteworthy events from pluggable transport land:

 * David Fifield wrote a blog post regarding the meek pluggable
   transport, and how to use it in the Tor Browser 4.0 alpha
   bundles[13].

 * The FTE folks presented "LibFTE: A Toolkit for Constructing
   Practical, Format-Abiding Encryption Schemes" at the USENIX Security
   Symposium[14].

 * Thanks to Fabian Keil, liballium and obfsclient are in the FreeBSD
   ports tree now[15].

 * Our GSOC projects that involve PTs are all done, with GSOC being
   over.  Final reports are at:

    * wfpadtools[16]

    * Fog[17]

    * Stegotorus[18]

 (Apologies if I missed anything here!)

Tentative plans for September:

 * Continue to work on obfs4 deployment related tasks.

 * Triage the little-t tor work that pertains to Sponsor S.

 * Finish the #8402 patch that's in needs_revision[19].

 * Finish the aforementioned goptlib SOCKSv5 code.

 * Read papers from FOCI'14.

 * Other things as they strike my fancy.

[0]: https://bugs.torproject.org/12130
[1]: https://bugs.torproject.org/12606