[tor-reports] Pearl Crescent Report – October 2014

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Fri Oct 31 22:47:51 UTC 2014

Tor-related work that the Pearl Crescent team did in October
(Kathy Brade and Mark Smith):

* Firefox updater for Tor Browser:
We made some additional fixes to our updater patches for ESR31 / TB 4.0.
We followed up on the TB 4.0-alpha-3 and 4.0 releases and fixed various
updater issues.  Several of these are still "in progress", but many
issues have been fixed.

We also reviewed Nicolas Vigier's code for generation of incremental MAR
files (for incremental updates of course).  End-users should get a
chance to experience incremental updates soon (probably for the upgrade
from TB 4.0 to 4.0.1).

Finally, we started to look at improving the security of updates,
beginning with signing of our MAR files:

* Tor Browser and Torbutton:
We helped with some ESR31 issues, with the TB 4.0 release, and with the
"fallout" from the release.

We spent a little time on CSS and Canvas fingerprinting issues:

We also answered a few tor-browser-bundle questions on
https://tor.stackexchange.com/

* We participated in the weekly Tor Browser dev meetings on IRC and
   in various design discussions on IRC and on the mailing lists.

* Planned for November 2014:
     - Work on signing of MAR files, fix other updater issues,
       and add improve the update user experience.

     - Assist with other Tor Browser and Torbutton issues.

     - Spend some time on Tor Launcher to add polish and address
       usability issues.

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent, LLC