[tor-reports] Pearl Crescent Report – September 2014

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Wed Oct 1 21:23:37 UTC 2014

Tor-related work that the Pearl Crescent team did in September
(Kathy Brade and Mark Smith):

* Firefox updater for Tor Browser:
We rebased the updater patches for ESR31.

We fixed various updater issues that came up as a result of shipping it
inside TB 4.0-alpha-2 and 4.0-alpha-3 as well as some things we found in
our own tests.  We are still working on various issues, but the updater
seems to be working.

* Tor Launcher:
We tested Tor Launcher within an ESR31-based Tor Browser.

We helped a little with the infamous start up hang bug.

We provided some information about environment variables that affect Tor
Launcher's behavior.

* Tor Browser and Torbutton:
We did some bug triage and helped some with the 4.0-alpha-2 and
4.0-alpha-3 releases.

We patched some more canvas calls to prevent fingerprinting (ESR31).

We patched the browser to use "Tor Browser" in more places instead of
"TorBrowser" (added a space).

We fixed an about:tor ESR31 incompatibility.

Other Tor Browser tickets we spent some time on:
     "Firefox is already running."

     "Verify screenX and screenY are spoofed sanely"

     "Review individual rebased patches for Firefox 31"

     "Windows Tor Launcher trying to connect 9151 control port
      always, instead of using settings"

* We participated in the weekly Tor Browser dev meetings on IRC and
   in various design discussions on IRC and on the mailing lists.

* Planned for October 2014:
     - Fix updater issues, add polish, and make sure the updater works
       correctly in the ESR31-based Tor Browser.

     - Assist with other ESR31-related patches and bug fixes.

     - Continue to add polish to Tor Launcher with a continued emphasis
       on usability issues.

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent, LLC