[tor-reports] SponsorF November 2014 report

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Sun Nov 30 13:12:57 UTC 2014

Hello,

here is a draft of a November report for SponsorR:

- Started a discussion on hidden service statistics and the ways they
  should be collected:
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-November/007816.html

  As a result, we posted a Tor proposal draft (#13509) on how to
  collect the first two statistics about HS usage:
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-November/007863.html

  The proposal will need a few revisions and implementation (#13192)
  will start on early December.

- Started work on a tech report that will examine all the various
  hidden service statistics that can be collected. The report will
  analyze the stats in terms of their benefits and security and help
  us decide which of these stats should be done on the real Tor
  network and which should only be done in a private Tor network.

- Started collecting statistics and benchmarks from a private Tor
  network.

  Some preliminary results can be found at:
  https://people.torproject.org/~dgoulet/ip-026.png
  where you can see how long it took a hidden service to establish its
  introduction points.

- Found and fixed an important performance issue that could trigger
  when establishing multiple connections to a hidden service:

- We collected most of team and community feedback about possible
  SponsorR tasks at:
  https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/SponsorRtasklist

- Started discussion on how SSL certificate authorities should work with
  hidden services:
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-November/007786.html