[tor-reports] Pearl Crescent Report for May 2014
mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Fri May 30 21:41:34 UTC 2014
Tor-related work that the Pearl Crescent team did in May (Kathy Brade
and Mark Smith):
* Made more progress on the Firefox-based updater for TBB. Mike
landed our patches to reorganize the TBB directory structure
to be more like Firefox's, which will simplify the Firefox
updater patches and fix other problems as well (e.g., two icons
in the Mac OS dock). The new directory structure will appear in
TBB 4.0. We also made progress on integration of the updater
with the Gitian-based build process (not completed yet).
* Experimented with building TBB on an Amazon EC2 instance. While
this was successful (using an LXC-based build), the wall clock
time was only slightly shorter than our own in-house build
machine. The quest to build TBB more quickly will continue.
* Participated in the weekly TBB dev meetings on IRC and in
various design discussions on IRC and on the mailing lists,
including those related to incorporation of the Tor Browser
manual into TBB.
* Attended Roger Dingledine's and Rachel Greenstadt's talks at
the University of Michigan (just a few miles drive for us).
* Reviewed some Firefox patches:
"Prevent TorBrowser from creating clipboardcache turds"
"Create preference for DOM storage / image cache isolation"
* Helped close various Tor Launcher issues, including:
"Change   to in network-settings.dtd"
"empty/untranslated locales in Tor Launcher"
"Proxy Type menu not set correctly"
"Tor Launcher doesn't auto-fill Proxy Type"
* Spent time triaging, discussing, and developing patches
for more various other Tor Launcher issues, including:
"UI for Proxy and Firewall selection is confusing"
"UI for ExitNode country selection"
"settings not saved after backing out of setup wizard"
"Open Settings button doesn't stop bootstrap"
"Please make a test connection to tor SOCKS port"
"Infinite loop when 'identity mismatch' error is raised"
* Assisted with assorted TBB 3.6.x / PT issues, including:
"geoip6 file is missing"
"obfsproxy shebang should point to python2, not python"
"about:tor should not show green if TorLauncher is not working"
"tor opens Windows console window"
Our goals for June:
* Get the Firefox-based updater for TBB (bug 4234) ready for
* Contribute to TBB in whatever way we can, including assisting
with migration of browser patches to the Firefox 31 code base.
* Continue to add polish to Tor Launcher.
Pearl Crescent, LLC
More information about the tor-reports