[tor-reports] What Nick did in the pre-meeting part of June

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Fri Jun 27 21:24:42 UTC 2014

What Nick did in June, up to and including June 27.

- I worked on a bunch of bugs and finally released 0.2.5.5-alpha, which
  I expect to be the last _big_ release in the 0.2.5.5-alpha series.
  There will be one or two more bugfix releases before 0.2.5.x is
  stable.  The "maint-0.2.5" branch is now for 0.2.5.x development; the
  master branch is now 0.2.6.0-alpha-dev. See the 0.2.5.5-alpha
  changelog for its major achievements.

- I write an analysis of the latest OpenSSL bug ("CCSstrip") when it
  went out.

- I worked with Andrea to start reviewing code and triaging tickets for
  0.2.6.  We've got some stuff reviewed and merged already, and much
  more to go.

- I tried to analyze remaining issues and bugs in 0.2.5.x.  We've
  started to get initial results from our diagnostic patches in
  0.2.5.5-alpha.  I found a tentative diagnosis and solution for 8387,
  but we still need insight on 12184.

- I started working on a speculative project to make Tor handle its data
  formats better.  I've been looking at nail and hammer for ideas, but I
  think that in the end we need something much much simpler.

- I helped write the technical sections for two funding proposals: one
  about improvements to Tor's core and infrastructure, and one about
  usability and censorship.

- I changed my schedule a lot to better accomodate a major change to my
  spouse's working schedule; this is still a work in progress.

- I took a light load in the last week of June, mostly ignoring IRC and
  the mailing lists, in order to try to recover some modicum of calm,
  sanity, and humanity.

cheers,
--
Nick