[tor-reports] Isis' December 2013

isis isis at torproject.org
Wed Jan 15 05:51:43 UTC 2014

*** status report 2013/12
**** Isis' December 2013: Review

In the first two weeks of December, I:

    * Wrote a rather frightening looking (but it works quite nicely!) dynamic
      unittest class generator (complete with dynamic method naming) in order
      to use BridgeDB's old unittests, combined with monkeypatching in/out
      pieces of old and new/refactored code, as a regression test suite. [0] [1]
    * Made another piece of dynamic unittest generation code which finds
      doctests in the source code tree and turns them into Twisted Trial
      compatible unittests. [2]
    * Improved and wrote unittests for parsers and functions which generate
      the torrc bridge lines which are handed out. Bridge fingerprints are now
      included, and pluggable transports can pass shared secrets to bridge
      clients through BridgeDB (sysrqb also contributed quite a bit on the
      latter).
    * Made a few of other small/maintenance bug fixes for BridgeDB. [3]
    * Made a few other minor fixes to TBB. [3] [4]

Then I was traveling for the holidays, and went to 30c3 where I got very
little "real" work done, but certainly learned a lot and met some interesting
new people. And had about a zillion and one people talk to me about Tor
things.

[0]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/isis/bridgedb.git/commitdiff/0b89ae36724cfc4cbec4ebb310471d9871904674
[1]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/bridgedb.git/blob/HEAD:/lib/bridgedb/test/test_Tests.py
[2]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/isis/bridgedb.git/commitdiff/fd4aa319c92651f37054e86a0a41db0699eb9010
[3]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/isis/bridgedb.git/shortlog/refs/heads/fix/9462-refactor-netstatus-parsers_r9462C_r2
[4]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/isis/bridgedb.git/shortlog/refs/heads/hotfix/9937-desc-gen_base64-padding-descDigest
[5]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git/commitdiff/4703dd9b3f917ee9ea6306c6ac6643e09cb563a7
[6]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/10383#comment:2

**** Tickets worked on in December 2013:

***** BridgeDB
#9959 BridgeDB seems to be missing English translations
#5232 Import bridges into BridgeDB in a separate thread and database transaction
#5851 Make BridgeDB's output compatible with both Vidalia & TorLauncher
#9013 BridgeDB should pass pluggable transport shared-secrets to clients
#9937 Create fake non-sanitised bridge descriptors for BridgeDB testing purposes
#1562 Expand the list of email providers for bridge requests
#1606 Write a BridgeDB spec
#1839 Rotate available bridges over time
#3061 Make BridgeDB send out 'Welcome' emails
#5418 Review and deploy code so that BridgeDB can give out unblocked bridges
#5463 BridgeDB must GPG-sign outgoing mails
#9462 BridgeDB descriptor parsers need refactoring
#9652 Treat Pluggable Transports as Individual Bridges
#9873 Convert BridgeDB's old unittests to use twisted.trial
#10333 Indexing list-like objects by 0L in Bridges.getConfigLine
#10385 Replace BridgeDB's use of python-gpgme with python-gnupg
#10417 BridgeDB should be built and tested on Jenkins
#7207 BridgeHerder: A tool to manage bridges
#10446 BridgeDB is/was using a GeoIP module which is incompatible with virtualenvs

***** Firefox Patch Issues
#10355 Pipeline defense interferes with twitter and flickr photostreams

***** Stem
#10227 Support descriptor generation

***** Tor
#9729 Make bridges publish additional ORPort addresses in their descriptor

***** Tor Launcher
#10384 TorLauncher UI seems to split bridge fingerprints onto a new line

***** Tor bundles/installation
#10213 Tor Browser 3.0 rc1 start-tor-browser.sh broken on Fedora 19 or Debian Squeeze
#10425 tor's geoip6 file is missing in TBB-3.5-rc1 and hardcoded to a gitian-builder path
#7501 Include PDF.js extension in TBB
#10383 TBB 3.5's OpenSSL was not built with NIST P224 and P256 curve support

**** Papers:
There were a lot more papers which I read while traveling, however, I will
either send them to the list later or, if you're dying to know what I read
then ask me for my reading list.

Rechberger, C., Rijmen V. "Note on Distinguishing, Forgery, and Second
  Preimage Attacks on HMAC-SHA-1 and a Method to Reduce the Key Entropy of NMAC"
  Graz University of Technology, Institute for Applied Information Processing
  and Communications, 2006.
  http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.61.7588&rep=rep1&type=pdf

--
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft