[tor-reports] Karsten's December

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Jan 3 18:07:39 UTC 2014

5 things I did in December:

- Helped move Globe [0] to a Tor machine.  The code is still maintained
by Christian, but Philipp and I deploy new versions.

- Created a new data interface for aggregated metrics data [1] that is
both produced and consumed by the metrics website.  The idea is that we
can now replace the website code by something shinier and more
interactive, similar how Onionoo provides status data that Atlas and
Globe display.

- Wrote a metrics project overview [2] describing its current state and
outlining my plan for removing and adding features.  As a result,
improved graphs on uni-/bidirectional connection usage [3], suggested
new graphs replacing the fast-exit graphs (#10460), and possibly ignited
development of a server-side Globe that would make me feel less bad
about shutting down the relay-search service [4].

- Revisited how bridges report statistics and wrote a new fix for #5824
that needs review and testing.

- Reviewed Tor proposals 147, 164, 165, 177, 185, 212, and 215 which are
all related to the directory protocol.  Reviews are on tor-dev at .

[0] https://globe.torproject.org/
[1] https://metrics.torproject.org/stats.html
[2] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2013-December/005948.html
[3] https://metrics.torproject.org/performance.html#connbidirect
[4]
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2013-December/031506.html

5 things I'm planning to make progress on in January:

- Start archiving microdescriptors and microdescriptor consensuses (#2785).

- Make graph on the number of running obfsbridges (#9187).

- Provide per-bridge usage statistics in Onionoo (#10331).

- Graph advertised bandwidth of 100th fastest relay and 100th fastest
exit (#10460).

- Write patches for proposals related to the directory protocol and/or
start implementing one or two of them.