[tor-reports] Boston CryptoParty 09 February 2014

andrew at torproject.is andrew at torproject.is
Wed Feb 19 16:16:41 UTC 2014

I helped organize and spoke for 2 hours at the 09 Feb Boston Cryptoparty
hosted by NorthEastern Law School. I talked about Tor, privacy, tails,
how your data traverses the Internet, who can collect what, and showed
people how much information they share just by connecting to NEU's guess
wireless network. Videos and/or audio from the event should be online
at some point.

I had some great conversations with people interested in learning about
their privacy online, how to better protect their data from their ISP
(landline and/or mobile), and how much their smartphone gives away their
data without their approval nor knowledge. I had an enlightening
conversation with some labor organizers who talked about near slavery
conditions in some New England industries; and the industry response to
threaten and conduct total surveillance on the employees trying to unionize.

Thanks to the ACLU of Massachusetts, National Lawyers Guild--Northeastern
University School of Law Chapter, the Massachusetts Pirate Party, the
Tor Project, Digital Fourth, Restore the Fourth Boston, and the Free
Software Foundation for co-sponsoring, getting involved, and speaking
at the cryptoparty.

Links to the announcements are:

http://masspirates.org/blog/2014/02/02/cryptoparty-feb-9th-noon-6pm-northeastern-law-school/

and http://privacysos.org/party