[tor-reports] Karsten's January

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Thu Feb 6 09:19:21 UTC 2014

5 things I was planning to make progress on in January:

- Start archiving microdescriptors and microdescriptor consensuses (#2785).

Done.  Microdescriptors and microdescriptor consensuses are now
available on the metrics website [0].

- Make graph on the number of running obfsbridges (#9187).

Not done.  Matt started working on obtaining attributes of current
public bridges (#10680) which we're planning to incorporate into
metrics-web.  Any work I'd do on #9187 would only duplicate efforts.

- Provide per-bridge usage statistics in Onionoo (#10331).

Not done.  Started to write down the protocol specification for these
new documents, but didn't start implementing them.  Might do this in
February (see below).

- Graph advertised bandwidth of 100th fastest relay and 100th fastest
exit (#10460).

Done.  There are now two new graphs on the metrics website [1, 2], and
the fast-exit graphs are gone.

- Write patches for proposals related to the directory protocol and/or
start implementing one or two of them.

Done.  Not in the sense of writing actual code, but by moving the
discussion of proposal 147 ("Eliminate the need for v2 directories in
generating v3 directories ") forward towards rejecting it [3].

Other things I made progress on in January:

- Re-ordered dir-spec for readability and maintainability (#10645).

- Kicked off a project to rewrite Tor Weather [4], held weekly IRC
meetings with three new volunteers, and made minor changes to Onionoo to
provide relevant data to a rewritten Weather (recommended_version and
hibernating fields).

- Reviewed and tested Nick's patch that removes version 2 directory code
from tor (#10759).

4 (yes, not 5, because February is short) things I'm planning to make
progress on in February:

- Review Nick's mmdb-convert tool that parses mmdb files in sufficient
detail to dump out the old format that Tor expects [5, 6].

- Continue coordination of the Weather rewrite project [4].

- Review Matt's bridge statistics code (#10680) and get it ready for
metrics-web.  If it's ready, write the glue code to make graphs and put
them on the metrics website.

- Attend the dev meeting in Iceland.

If time permits, I'd like to work on two more things:

- Provide per-bridge usage statistics in Onionoo (#10331).

- Finally move at least one or two of the six directory-protocol threads
forward that I started in December ("\[tor-dev\] Review of Proposal
[0-9]\{3\}[,:] .* (was: Tor proposal status (December 2013))").

[0] https://metrics.torproject.org/data.html#relaydesc
[1] https://metrics.torproject.org/network.html#advbwdist-perc
[2] https://metrics.torproject.org/network.html#advbwdist-relay
[3] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-January/006138.html