[tor-reports] Pearl Crescent status report for January 2014

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Tue Feb 4 02:36:04 UTC 2014

Mike already sent out a general Tor Browser Team report, but here is
some additional detail on the Tor-related work that Kathy and I did in
January:

  * Made significant progress on pluggable transport support for
    Tor Launcher.  For TBB 3.6 we will provide a "Use Default Bridges"
      option that will allow people to get up and running with PTs.
      status: nearly done.

  * Fixed a localization problem in Torbutton.  When we added the
    about:tor page, Kathy and I added some translatable strings that
    ended in a space, which is not a good idea when using Transifex.
      status: needs review.

  * Fixed a problem in Torbutton where the arrow that points to the
    Torbutton toolbar icon pointed to the wrong place in the Arabic
    build of TBB.  We wrote new code that determines the actual position
    of the toolbar icon and ensures that the arrow points to it.
      status: needs review.

  * Triaged, closed, commented on, and/or fixed various Tor Launcher
    and TBB issues that have been reported in the wake of the TBB 3.5.x
    releases.
    (see ** at the end of this report).

  * Made only a little progress on ticket 4234:
      "Investigate the Firefox update process"
    Our changes for 4234 will be integrated with the TBB 3.6 / PT
    code, so this month we focused on helping move TBB 3.6 along.

  * We spent a little time reviewing the Mozilla bugs that have
    been filed to track merging of TBB changes into Firefox.

Ticket details:
** Miscellaneous Tor Launcher and TBB related tickets that we
    spent at least some time on this month:
    "Tor Launcher/Torbutton should provide a "Security Slider"

    "tor's geoip6 file is missing in TBB-3.5..."

    "bad bridge fingerprint causes 'DONE' error to be displayed"

    "skip TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH=1 environment variable not honored"

    "`import` called in potentially dangerous manner"

    "Illegal or deprecated access to the `nsIProcess` global"

    "Tor status and error messages are not translated"

    "Tor Browser users don't know if their network is free
     of obstacles or not"

    "add environment variable that causes the 'Open Network
     Settings' menu item to be hidden or disabled"

    "Add basque (eu) translation to TorLauncher extension"

Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent
http://pearlcrescent.com/