[tor-reports] Damian's Status Report - December 2014

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Sat Dec 27 23:45:34 UTC 2014

Hi all! Tis that time of year coal appears in all my sox so guess it's time
for a status report. This month I set arm aside to polish improvements that
accumulated in the Stem 1.3 release...

  https://blog.torproject.org/blog/stem-release-13

There were a lot of small tweaks, but the highlights for this month were...

Hidden Service Tutorial

By a bit of serendipity I came across a nice article by Jordan Wright for
spinning up hidden services with Stem...

  https://jordan-wright.github.io/blog/2014/10/06/creating-tor-hidden-services-with-python/

Federico Ceratto and Patrick O'Doherty have been improving our hidden service
support, so I spruced up their contributions and wrote a tutorial of our own
that demos it...

  https://stem.torproject.org/tutorials/over_the_river.html

Gentoo Support

Thanks to Anthony Basile Stem is now packaged for Gentoo. Installing is as
simple as...

  % emerge stem

I've been delighted at how many Gentoo people have jumped out of the woodwork
to help. toralf worked with me on ticket #13904 to address testing issues, and
Manuel took on Stem 1.3 packaging the same day as its release - thanks guys!

Couple other quick things of note is that I updated our OpenHub repository
listing so it includes most of our newer projects...

  https://www.openhub.net/p/tor

... and trimmed membership of our internal lists.

Cheers! -Damian