[tor-reports] Andrew's July 2014 Monthly Report

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Tue Aug 5 19:55:53 UTC 2014

# In general

 - A ton of press interviews about Tails, blackhat related topics, Tor
in general, censorship, helping victims of violence, and NSA targeting
Tor project servers/staff.
 - Helped a survivor of cyberstalking with evidence and suggested next
steps to gather more evidence
 - Asked to read/review two books on human trafficking; one focused on
labor trafficking and on sex trafficking.
 - Helped have a great summer dev meeting in Paris.
 - Helped PETS have another successful event in Amsterdam.
 - Spent some time talking to very wealthy people in Europe about where
they donate and why.
 - Helped move along research into a European entity of some sort
for/with others.
 - Made progress on accepting Stripe and integrating it into our site.
 - The usual administration overhead when running a 30+ person company.

# Press

 Russia Offers a $111K Reward to De-Anonymize Tor
​
http://www.decryptedtech.com/news/russia-offers-a-111k-reward-to-de-anonymize-tor
by Sean Kalinich on July 28, 2014

Hacking Tor, And What it Means for our Online Privacy
​
http://www.westernjournalism.com/hacking-tor-and-what-it-means-for-our-online-privacy/

by Daniel Faris on July 25, 2014

Russian government offers huge reward for help unmasking anonymous Tor
users
​
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2458420/russian-government-offers-money-for-identifying-tor-users.html
by Lucian Constantin on July 25, 2014

Researchers: Lawyers blocked our Black hat demo on de-anonymising Tor
​
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jul/22/is-tor-truly-anonymising-conference-cancelled
by Tom Brewster on July 22, 2014

Black Hat presentation on unmasking Tor users suddenly canceled
​
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2456700/black-hat-presentation-on-tor-suddenly-cancelled.html
by Jeremy Kirk on July 22, 2014

What is the Dark net? FOX28's Tom Powell reports
​
http://www.fox28.com/story/26014704/2014/07/14/what-is-the-dark-net-fox28s-tom-powell-reports
by Tom Powell, July 14, 2014

Are you on NSA'S Watch list?
​http://westmorelandtimes.com/news/12382/11/are-you-on-nsas-watch-list/
by Julia Angwin and Mike Tigas, July 11, 2014

Here's One Way to Land on the NSA's Watch List
​
http://www.propublica.org/article/heres-one-way-to-land-on-the-nsas-watch-list
by Julia Angwin and Mike Tigas July 9, 2014

NSA Surveillance Targets Cambridge - based TOR Project
​http://www.cctvcambridge.org/NSATor
by Saul Tannenbaum July 8, 2014

NSA might tag you as extremist when you use Tor, other privacy online
services
​
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/9779/20140708/nsa-might-tag-you-as-extremist-when-you-use-tor-other-privacy-online-services.htm
by Nicole Arce, July 8, 2014

If you can about online privacy, then the NSA cares about targeting you
​
http://blogs.computerworld.com/privacy/24102/if-you-care-about-online-privacy-then-nsa-cares-about-targeting-you
by Darlene Storm, July 7, 2014

Les révélations Snowden ont provoqué une vague continue d'intérêt pour Tor
​
http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2014/07/07/les-revelations-snowden-ont-provoque-une-vague-continue-d-interet-pour-tor_4450747_4408996.html
by Martin Untersinger, July 7, 2014

NSA targets the privacy-conscious
​http://daserste.ndr.de/panorama/aktuell/nsa230_page-1.html
by J. Appelbaum, A. Gibson, J. Goetz, V. Kabisch, L. Kampf, L. Ryge,
July 3, 2014

# Details

July 31
Active

    review q3 report for state
    voice of america interview and TB PT help
    write up state site visit yesterday
    edit less technical blog post about security advisory
    complete wire transfers for this week
    setup wire transfers for this week
    complete state dept checklist for site visit on wednesday

July 29
Active

    wired interview
    talk to employment lawyer about current state of affairs and govt
contracts
    vice/motherboard interview
    daily dot interview
    swap SAM.gov over to new bank

July 27
Active

    review and edit the needfinding framework from second muse

July 26
Active

    post 2013 financials

July 23
Active

    wire germany funds for july payroll
    return call to forensic firm
    follow up with ESC
    review and edit the viet tan doc from second muse

July 21
Active

    get monthly report for bitpay in june
    deposit pets 2012 profit check
    respond to blackhat talk email
    deposit checks from past week
    respond to blackhat talk email
    Check out http://qz.returnilvirtualsystem.com/features/ and their
usage of Tor
    point tails 0-day queries at tails
    talk to huffpo about tor
    talk to lawyers about liabilities if we go above/beyond what law
mandates
    add melissa to jobs list

July 14
Active

    call back survivor
    call back vice journalist
    add controller job desc to web site, so melissa can easier advertise
for it
    figure out which arma to invite to basecamp
    wire ximin
    wire sherief
    wire karsten
    wire georg k
    wire 3bis
    wire colin
    Follow up with lawyers
    sign outstanding q3/q4 contracts for people
    send out tshirts to the 5 people who responded to my last -donations
email

July 11
Active

    sign waiting contracts
    work with melissa to develop job desc for replacement CFO/Controller
    write up narrative for state
    close ticket #12177
    schedule german visit with marta
    send pointers to marta about Tor

July 9
Active

    follow-up with thorn/citi on datamining for trafficking
    write my monthly report
    return call from yet another law firm
    follow-up with state about plan next week
    return Austrian journalist call

July 8
Active

    return call for process server about lawsuit
    return call Samira about Miami investigation/case
    schedule conf call with lawsuit lawyers
    follow-up with le monde reporter about interview
    follow-up with slate reporter about interview
    get monthly report for amazon in june
    Talk to Archive.org about archiving all of our released software,
media, etc

July 7
Active

    get monthly report for paypal in june
    talk to hosting co again about hosting issues
    follow-up with state about grant
    return relay oper VM asking for help

July 3
Active

    finish putting my todo list in basecamp. such transparent. many words.

--
Andrew
pgp 0x6B4D6475