[tor-reports] Kelley's Status Report - March 2014
kelley at torproject.org
Thu Apr 10 15:48:14 UTC 2014
Here are highlights from the world of Tor marketing, communications and
outreach for March:
*Summer Dev Meeting:*
- Contacted numerous hotels around Paris regarding a block of rooms for
the summer dev meeting;
- Negotiated pricing and perks and received proposals from 2 hotels;
- Due pricing and other considerations we did not reserve a block of
rooms and therefore, the proposals expired;
- Maintained contact with with our host in Paris regarding the
announcement of the meeting - this is on hold until further notice;
- Reported on the summer dev meeting (new ideas / improvements) to
for-internal - thank you everyone for your feedback.
- Have presented and discussed multiple options and ideas with Andrew
regarding structure and logistics - a decision will be made soon and
reported out to the team and begin outreach for sponsors.
* Additionally, I did the following: *
- *Tor Outreach Strategy* - developed a company-wide outreach strategy
and presented it to Andrew, Roger, Caspar, and others for feedback. A
project plan is next and will be shared with the community for feedback.
- *Sponsor O - Outreach and Training* - Discussed some project ideas and
direction with Colin C. and Karsten to better organize and manage the
tasks the Outreach/Training goals for Sponsor O. Developed a detailed
project plan - shared it with Karsten for feedback.
- *Thanks to Donors *- sent (hardcopy) thank you notes to those who
mailed in donations.
- *Proposals *- submitted two proposals to the Knight Foundation News
Challenge - announcement if we move to the next round will come April 18th.
- *LibrePlant2014 *- Met up with Moritz (briefly) at the LibrePlanet to
arm him with stickers and other Tor swag - btw, Moritz you still have the
banner and it was great to see you in Boston!
- *Journalist Training -* lead a journalists training event at NICAR in
Baltimore, a results I received a request by the Washington Post to do a
training with their news team tentatively in April.
- *International Cyber Warfare Conference & CERIAS Symposium* - both
held at Purdue University, I attended wearing two hats... a Ph.D. Student
studying at Purdue and a member of the Tor team. On be half of Tor made
several connections (and follow up) with executive level law enforcement
and privacy and civil liberties experts.
- *SXSW* - attended SXSW with Karen. Spent most of my time talking
about Tor with the Knight Foundation people, attending a few "free"
sessions as I did not have a badge for the entire event, conducted a couple
of press interviews and gathered additional information about journalist
training and the Knight News Challenge.
- *Communications Training:* discussed with Beth Jacobs at Spitfire
strategies next steps in our communications training and the possibilities
of them doing a 1/2 session with us in Paris.
- *Press Requests:* Continued fielding and responding to media request
through execdir. Did 3 phone interviews in March. Organized and
contributed to in person interview done in the offices.
- *2013 Annual Report* - On hold until I have the go ahead from Andrew.
- *Ongoing Outreach [funding]:* Continued seeking and making contact
with new funding or other partners.
- *“Upcoming Tor Events” on Tor blog* - Continued updating as I see
things come over tor-internal.
- *Tor Press Page* - did some updates on the wiki and to the press page.
Will be establishing a regular rhythm of updating this in April and beyond.
- *Tor Swag* - mailed stickers and sent links for relay t-shirts. The
plan for purchasing additional t-shirt, etc. will be built into the
outreach plan mentioned above.
Thanks everyone - enjoy the start of Spring and see you all in a few short
months in Paris.
*Outreach and Communications*
*The Tor Project*
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the tor-reports