[tor-reports] OONI team report for March 2014

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Tue Apr 1 14:41:18 UTC 2014

Here is a summary of the activities carried out by the OONI team in the
month of March.

## Released ooniprobe 1.0.1.

This is the changelog for the release [1]

* Fix bugs in the traceroute test that lead to not all packets being
collected.

* All values inside of http_requests test are now initialized inside of
setUp.

* Fix a bug that lead to the input value of the report not being set in
some circumstances.

## Bridge reachability

Worked on getting a bridge reachability test integrated into master. [2]
We now have a test that verifies which tor bridges are working
supporting obfs2,obfs3,scramblesuit and ft.

This test is now running from 3 different network vantage points in
Russia, China and the US. The reports are currently stored inside a
private oonib collector until we decide what shall be done with the
reports.

## Refactoring of captiveportal test

arunpandianp did an awesome job at refactoring the captiveportal test to
use our own DNS and HTTP test templates. [3]

This has as an effect the fact that we no longer need the dnspython
dependency!
The other major win is that now the reports for the captiveportal test
include (as well as the test specific report data that is backward
compatible) also data that is specific to the test templates being used
(the DNS queries and answers, the HTTP requests and responses).

## OONI probe package in debian

Thanks to Lunars great work we now have a debian package for ooniprobe
1.0.1 [4]

## Planetlab deployment script

We now have an automatic deployment script for ooniprobe on mlab. [5]

This turned out to be a less trivial than initially expected task given
the fact that most planetlab slices run Fedora 8 (yeah the one that is
end of life since 2009 :P).

This means that a **lot** of things need to be compiled so that we can
have a recent version of Tor (for scramblesuit and ft) and a recent
version of python (for running ooniprobe).

This also lead us to write a couple of tiny patches for pyopenssl [6]
and cryptography [7] to support such old distro.

## OONIB admin tool

We added a tool for administering oonibackend instances. This allows the
administrator to add inputs and decks to the policy without having to
manually compute the hashes and edit the policy and collector files [8].

## Misc bugfixes in oonib and ooniprobe

We also fixes a bunch of miscellaneous bugs in ooniprobe [9][10] and
oonib [11][12].

## Least authority audit

The audit of oonib and ooniprobe has started in ooniprobe. Their team
has been doing a great job also at spotting some bugs [13] and
submitting some pull requests with fixes[14][15][16][17][18].

## Interesting reports collected

We can see the escalation of DNS censorship in Turkey in the following
reports:

https://213.138.109.232/TR/http_requests_test-2014-03-29T000037Z-AS9121-probe.yamloo
https://213.138.109.232/TR/http_requests_test-2014-03-31T000048Z-AS9121-probe.yamloo
https://213.138.109.232/TR/http_requests_test-2014-04-01T000033Z-AS9121-probe.yamloo
https://213.138.109.232/TR/dns_consistency-2014-03-29T000037Z-AS9121-probe.yamloo
https://213.138.109.232/TR/dns_consistency-2014-03-30T000023Z-AS9121-probe.yamloo
https://213.138.109.232/TR/dns_consistency-2014-03-31T000038Z-AS9121-probe.yamloo
https://213.138.109.232/TR/dns_consistency-2014-04-01T000034Z-AS9121-probe.yamloo

# What we plan to work on next?

* We will be improving the bridge_reachability test and deploy it in
more countries.

* Work on some charting and graphing for some ooniprobe tests

* Evaluate the GSoC submissions.

This is all for the moment.

Have fun!

~ Art.