[tor-reports] Damian's Status Report - September 2013

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Mon Sep 30 03:22:37 UTC 2013

Hi all. Present status: gobbling birthday carrot cake. Before that, though,
did a few things worth noting in September...

Stem: Connection Resolution Support

Stem can now provide you with the active connections belonging to a process.
This is similar to arm, capable of doing lookups via seven *nix and FreeBSD
resolution methods...

https://stem.torproject.org/api/util/connection.html#stem.util.connection.Resolver

Unlike arm, however, this is a far cleaner implementation including both unit
and integ tests. Unfortunately this doesn't yet work with Tor's
DisableDebuggerAttachment feature, but I plan to look into workarounds for
that soon.

'How do I use this', you ask? It's easy!

https://stem.torproject.org/tutorials/east_of_the_sun.html#connection-resolution

Arm: Rewrote Starter Module

Arm is presently undergoing an overhaul, and this month I focused on its
starter module. It's now shorter, has unit tests, and is just generally damn
better...

before: https://gitweb.torproject.org/arm.git/blob/refs/heads/release:/src/starter.py
after: https://gitweb.torproject.org/arm.git/blob/HEAD:/arm/starter.py

Other news this month includes...

* Google Summer of Code finals were last week. All the remaining students
  passed, having done great work - fingers crossed they stick around!

* DocTor's python replacement is now happily chugging along on yatei and
  provides #tor-bots notifications.

* Attended a local TA3M meetup hosted by Lee Fisher. I'll be presenting a 'tor
  ecosystem' talk at it in October. (https://www.seattleprivacy.org/?p=356)

* Notified outdates relays that will soon be dropped from the network if they
  don't upgrade. (#9476)

* Investigated tor regression reported by stem's jenkins tests. (#9746)

* Code reviewed Aaron's TorPS. (https://github.com/torps/torps.git)

* Fixed a stem caching bug regarding hidden service config options caught by
  wayzard. (#9792)

* My site (https://www.atagar.com, which hosts arm) finally has SSL support.

  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-commits/2013-September/062328.html

Cheers! -Damian