[tor-reports] Damian's Status Report - August 2013
atagar at torproject.org
Sat Sep 7 21:51:14 UTC 2013
Hi all, after a month of work I'm pleased to announce that the Stem based
replacement for Doctor is now live!
For those who aren't familiar with it, Doctor is a service that pulls hourly
consensus information and checks it for a host of issues (directory authority
outages, expiring certificates, etc). In the case of a problem it notifies
tor-consensus-health@, and we in turn give the authority operator a heads up.
The new version of Doctor replaces Karsten's java based counterpart and is
part of our ongoing scheme to eventually deprecate Metrics-lib in favor of
Other news this month includes...
* Arlo Breault added DNSEL exit list parsing to Stem!
* Stem now mirrors Tor's hardcoded directory authority information (both
required for the stem.descriptor.remote module and handy for scripting)...
* Added an example of remote descriptor fetching to our tutorials...
* FAQ entry describing other controller libraries...
* FAQ entry for the various ways of instantiating a Controller...
* FAQ entry describing python's 'with' keyword (this has been a common point
of confusion for new stem users)...
* Looked a bit unreliability regarding Tor's DirPort. Unfortunately requests
for compressed descriptor data frequently fail with a truncated response,
so Doctor is now requesting uncompressed data (bad, but likely better than
hammering authorities with retries).
* Assigned joint copyright of Stem to The Tor Project so it can live on if I
get struck by a meteor, swallowed by a dragon, etc.
* Support for new Tor capabilities including TRANSPORT_LAUNCHED events and
bridge-ip-transports lines in extrainfo descriptors.
* Overhauled the layout of arm's codebase so it'll behave like a more proper
* Discussed using Stem for Bridgedb with sysrqb and isis.
* Answered a few controller related questions on Stack Overflow...
More information about the tor-reports