[tor-reports] Isis, July 2013

isis agora lovecruft isis at torproject.org
Tue Sep 3 10:37:59 UTC 2013

# -*- mode: org ; coding: utf-8 -*-

*** status report 2013/07

Some amount of time was spent on trying to get one of Mike Perry's gitian
builders to work. First, I tried locally with qemu-kvm and Debian, which
failed many times. Then I decided that effort should be made to free Mike
Perry from depending upon a crappy laptop and nearby power supply, i.e. that
gitian should run on a remote. I set this up and have been trying for several
weeks now to get it working, to no avail.

I went to the Tor developer meeting in München, and had the amazing
opportunity to meet and talk with two renowned cryptologists, Tanja Lange and
Daniel Bernstein. Tanja even took several hours of her time to teach me more
about the pairing-based cryptography required to fully implement the
privacy-preserving features of the rBridge paper, [0] specifically about
Type-III pairings on elliptic curves (we had already talked a tiny bit on
Twitter). [1] [2]

Someday, when/if I subject myself to the seemingly pointless endeavour of
going to grad school, I think that I would like to take a slight step away
from theoretical physics to study post-quantum cryptography. All of the
female-bodied cryptographers I've met are hella awesome and inspiring.

I agreed to be a new bridgedb and bridges.torproject.org maintainer, and began
getting set up to do so. [3]

Also, sysrqb is amazing and has been helping out with BridgeDB quite a bit, so
I sponsored their LDAP account creation to make organizing easier. [4]

I read several additional papers on mathematical operations finite fields and
elliptic curves, pairing-based cryptography, commitment schemes, oblivious
transfer schemes, zero-knowledge proofs, and hidden resource
distribution. [5] [6] [7] Still need to read: [8] [9] [10]

[0]: Qiyan Wang and Zi Lin and Nikita Borisov and Nicholas J. Hopper.
       "rBridge: User Reputation based Tor Bridge Distribution with Privacy Preservation."
       Proceedings of the Network and Distributed System Security Symposium - 2013.
       Internet Society, 2013.
       http://www.cs.umn.edu/~hopper/rbridge_ndss13.pdf
[1]: https://twitter.com/isislovecruft/status/347370327124357120
[2]: https://twitter.com/isislovecruft/status/347365856193429506
[3]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9315
[4]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9310
[5]: Savaš, Erkay, Alexandre F. Tenca, and Çetin K. Koç.
       "A scalable and unified multiplier architecture for finite fields GF (p) and GF (2m)."
       Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems—CHES 2000. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2000.
       http://cryptocode.net/docs/c19.pdf
[6]: Bernstein, Daniel J., and Tanja Lange. "Faster addition and doubling on elliptic curves."
       Advances in cryptology–ASIACRYPT 2007. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2007. 29-50.
       http://eom.pp.ua/books/%D0%9A%D0%BE%D0%BF%D1%8C%D1%8E%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%8B%D0%98%D1%81%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%B8/_Lecture%20Notes%20in%20Computer%20Science/crypto/Advances%20in%20Cryptology%20-%20ASIACRYPT%202007,%2013%20conf.(LNCS4833,%20Springer,%202007)(ISBN%209783540768999)(593s).pdf#page=40)
[7]: Au, Man Ho, Willy Susilo, and Yi Mu. "Constant-size dynamic k-TAA."
       Security and Cryptography for Networks. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2006. 111-125.
       http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=10257&context=infopapers
[8]: Green, Matthew, and Susan Hohenberger.
       "Blind identity-based encryption and simulatable oblivious transfer."
       ibid. 265-282.
[9]: Naor, Moni, and Benny Pinkas. "Efficient oblivious transfer protocols."
       Proceedings of the twelfth annual ACM-SIAM symposium on Discrete algorithms.
       Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2001.
       http://books.google.nl/books?hl=en&lr=&id=GKivfpn3MQAC&oi=fnd&pg=PA448&ots=jlOoBh2p53&sig=wouAhA-9LEffcSC8glELdveL8cQ#v=onepage&q&f=false
[10]: Kate, Aniket, and Ian Goldberg.
       "Distributed private-key generators for identity-based cryptography."
       Security and Cryptography for Networks. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2010. 436-453.
       http://cacr.uwaterloo.ca/techreports/2007/cacr2007-33.pdf

--
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft
GPG: 4096R/A3ADB67A2CDB8B35