[tor-reports] Karsten's August

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Sep 3 09:03:25 UTC 2013

Here's what I had planned to do in August

> - Run more Shadow simulations of Steven's utp branch or other branches
> produced by sponsor F deliverables.

This kept me busy for most of August.  Turned out the earlier Shadow
simulations didn't run Steven's utp branch because of a change in
Shadow's user interface.  Fixed a couple of things in Steven's utp
branch, resolving timing issues from libutp and avoiding a segfault.
Tests with a client connecting via uTP to a private bridge run just
fine.  Simulations in Chutney run fine, too.  But there's still a
problem with Shadow simulating the updated utp branch.  More work
remains for September.  See #9166 for the details.

Helped fix #9546 as a by-product of working on utp stuff, because I ran
into the very same issue described there.

> - Coordinate more of sponsor F year 3.

Went through my notes from the July progress IRC meeting to remember
what people are working on.  Also announced the August progress IRC
meeting which will be today.

> - Resume working on the Twisted-based Torperf that I started earlier
> this year.

Started doing this, but then realized it's too much of a time sink for
me, because I don't know enough about Python and Twisted to do a fast
job here.  Maybe I'll write a design document with my ideas, so that
somebody else can pick this up.

> - Improve #7359 so that it can be merged into master.

Not done.  Should do this in September.

> - Get metrics-lib and Onionoo added to Tor's Jenkins, and maybe even
> make Debian packages for them.

Sebastian and I fixed metrics-lib, metrics-db, metrics-web, and Onionoo
to use jars from Debian packages (or more generally, /usr/share/java/)
wherever possible and added metrics-lib as Git subproject to the
repositories depending on it.  This makes it a lot easier to build and
run various metrics tools.

The plan for September is to make progress on these tasks:

- Coordinate more of sponsor F year 3.

- Run more Shadow simulations of Steven's utp branch or other branches
produced by sponsor F deliverables.

- Improve #7359 so that it can be merged into master.

- Help Damian deploy his consensus-health checker rewrite on yatei, then
shut down the existing checker.

- Get Sebastian up to speed as co-maintainer of the main metrics services.