[tor-reports] Tails report for September, 2013
tails at boum.org
Mon Oct 7 10:15:40 UTC 2013
Tails 0.20.1 was released on September 19.
Tails 0.21 has been scheduled for October 29.
Tails 0.22 has been scheduled for December 11.
- Tails has been started more than 174 269 times in September.
This makes a boot every 15 seconds on average.
- 14 166 downloads of the OpenPGP signature of Tails ISO.
- We had a low-hanging fruits session on Saturday 21.
- A launcher for KeePassX was added to the desktop.
- It is now possible to install Tails on SD cards using SDIO hardware.
- Some issues were fixed for the migration to Tails Wheezy.
- The problem that prevented some packages to be installable on Tails
- Tails USB Installer:
- Rebranded to *Tails Installer*.
- Display a confirmation dialog before installing Tails.
- Display device vendor, model and size.
- Any `.iso` file present in the Tails partition will be skipped
during cloning. Many thanks to Sina for providing a patch!
- The information icon when a bad passphrase is entered in Tails Greeter
was replaced by a proper warning icon. Many thanks to Andres Gomez
for providing a patch!
- The persistent volume is now properly umounted on shutdown.
- Tails now ships Tor 0.2.4.
- Tails now includes Linux 3.10.11.
- A minor fix to our automated test suite was proposed.
Documentation and website
- A branch to improve the bug reporting workflow was submitted.
- A plan to restructure the documentation for Mac was drafted.
- A mockup for the new contribute section has been designed
- The documentation on cold boot attacks and ways to shutdown has been
rewritten. Many thanks to mercedes508 for working on that!
- The documentation explaining why Tor is slow has been refined.
- You can download nightly builds of different branches of Tails on
- They have more unique names than previous builds.
- They are signed with OpenPGP key 0xD83A438B2F916605.
- We have started looking what UEFI hardware we need to do research
and tests in this area. We would not mind a 13-inch 2011 MacBook Pro
(MacBookPro8,1) or similar. We would not refuse a recent netbook
that boots off UEFI, either.
- Removing the clock applet from the desktop or Displaying localized
- Creating a logo for Tails, with new proposals by Carmie and Kevin C.
- Emptying Trash on persistent volume
- We finally signed our short-term contract with sponsor Bravo. That
will keep us very busy until the end of the year, and will address
some of the stumbling blocks on the road towards Tails 1.0!
- We paid the first bounty of our bounty program. This one automated the
migration of our ikiwiki tickets to Redmine.
Press and testimonials
- 2013-09-12: In Inside the Effort to Crowdfund NSA-Proof Email and
Chat Services. by DJ Pangburn, Riseup birds write (about the TBB)
"Combined with the TAILS project, which Riseup supports, there is
- 2013-09-05: In How to remain secure against NSA
surveillance, Bruce Schneier wrote: "Since I started working with
Snowden's documents, I have been using GPG, Silent Circle, Tails, OTR,
TrueCrypt, BleachBit, and a few other things I'm not going to
More information about the tor-reports