[tor-reports] What Nick did in October

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Sat Nov 2 21:08:46 UTC 2013

In October:

* I hacked on Andrea's patch for channel+circuit global scheduling and
wrote a report on it; together we came up with a plan to make it
awesome.

* I worked more on my ed25519 branch, and got a couple of patches
merged upstream to floodyberry's ed25519-donna repository.

* I started an scrypt branch to work on improved encryption for when
we want to store encrypted files. I submitted some patches upstream to
floodyberry's scrypt-jane repository.

* I got my patches to remove the gmt_unix_time field merged into OpenSSL.

* I worked on a bunch of my pending branches, including "backtrace",
"better_workqueue", "bug9925_nm", and "bug9963".

* I merged a bunch of 0.2.4 and 0.2.5 patches: some of them from me,
and some from others.  My favorites include:

* After review from Roger, I merged a patch to implement proposal 221
so we can finally get rid of CREATE_FAST.

* I discussed a bunch of hidden services ideas with a bunch of people,
and concluded that getting this all right will require a complete
rewrite of rend-spec.txt. I started work on that.

* I went to the GSOC Mentors summit, and talked with lots of people
about their projects. I broke three people's cryptosystems for them
and told them to use standard stuff instead.

* I did a whole lot of planning meetings.

In November I sure hope I will:

 * Give a talk about Tor at a class at MIT; be around for the office
open house later in the month.
 * Finish my "hidden services: the next generation" draft.
 * Merge more of my patches; get more patches merged from others.
 * Try to get 0.2.4 stable!
 * Once 0.2.4 is stable, start the countdown to freezing 0.2.5 and
opening 0.2.6.