[tor-reports] Karsten's April

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed May 1 16:14:01 UTC 2013

Here are the top 3 things I wanted to do in April:

> - Hand over sponsor F year 3 phase 2 coordination to Tom.

Unclear.  Will keep trying.

> - Finish the Torperf rewrite in Twisted, this time for real, really.

Sadly, not much progress.  Patched a minor bug in twisted-socks together
with Linus, and discussed a JSON-based Torperf results format with Mike
(#8662).  But didn't find a sufficient number of consecutive "free" days
to focus on Torperf development.  Will try to spend more time on this in
May.

> - Start looking into implementing the new bridge user counting algorithm
> (#8462) and into improving the direct user counting algorithm.

Made some good progress on this one.  In fact, my timesheet says I spent
incredible 71 hours on this task in April, which means that I must have
ignored the world for almost two weeks.  I'm not done here yet, but
early results are on the ticket:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/attachment/ticket/8462/userstats-ir-2013-04-24-2.png

In addition to these three tasks, I did more useful stuff in April:

- Wrote 127 unit tests for Onionoo's front-end (#6950) and fixed three
minor bugs while doing so.

- Tweaked first_seen and last_changed_or_addresses fields in Onionoo
(#6509), so that Moritz can now discover joining and leaving relays and
contact their operators.

I'm yet unsure what I want to do in May.  From past reports it seems
that my plans from the beginning of a month were only a very rough
approximation of what I'd do in that month.  I decided not to make plans
for all of May now, but to decide every week or even every day what's
most important to work on.  If somebody wants me to do something in
particular, please let me know, and I'll see if I can squeeze it in.

I also started a new experiment today where I'm planning to tweet 2 or 3
times a day what I'm working on for Tor.  My May report will be a
summary of those tweets.  I hope to get more feedback from those quick
status reports than from this monthly report.  If someone wants to
follow my status updates, here's my Twitter page:

https://twitter.com/loesing

Feedback much appreciated, here or on Twitter!