[tor-reports] Farsi Team Report

Nima nima at redteam.io
Sat Mar 9 15:31:42 UTC 2013

Hi,

This is what mostly kept me busy during the first two months of this year:

- Iran has recently blocked access to almost all circumvention tools.
including normal Tor connection and all VPN ports.
Regarding to reports, obfsproxy works almost everywhere although
hard-coded bridges are widely blocked and pyobfs crashes a lot
(specially on OS X).

We've tried to make different connections (with/without bridges, obfs,
etc) to Tor network and capture it. The captured data has been sent to
"Tor-assistants".

- Although we've few posts explaining the difference between obfs and
normal TBB published on Fa-blog, people are still confused about it. We
should probably add it to Short User Manual.

I was wondering if Iranian users know about fa-blog existence?

A warning/info box on download page (or gettor message) offering
visitors from Iran to download the obfs TBB instead the normal one could
also help.
People are complaining "Tor doesn't work anymore" and I've to explain
and make sure they're trying obfsproxy.

- Did an interview with OpenITP.org about Iran and censorship. Tried to
encourage ppl to run more obfs bridges on Amazon cloud.

Bests,
Nima
0x1C92A77B

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right
to say it" --Evelyn Beatrice Hall