[tor-reports] Kelley's May Status Report

Kelley Misata kelley at torproject.org
Thu Jun 6 20:52:55 UTC 2013

Here are the highlights from the world of Tor marketing, communications and
outreach for May:

   1. CRM Project:
      1. Installation phase about to be complete - Giant Rabbit is working
      on it - thanks to Andrew for his help in coordinating the
technical side of
      things.
      2. Content continues to be gathered - spent 3 amazing days with Roger
      extracting all the contacts I could from his head.  Nick, Jack and others
      know I'll be coming to you for similar information :-)
   2. Tor Store Vendor - Front runner vendor has failed on a couple of my
   tests - stay tuned for an update at the dev meeting if not sooner via
   tor-internal.  Also new shirts will be provided at the dev meeting for
   those who gave me their sizes in Boston.  All others - please contact me if
   you'd like a new "root design" Tor shirt.
   3. Proposals:
      1. Knight Foundation - proposal for additional funds gear
      specifically around journalist training, branding and marketing efforts.
      2. Communications Proposal - Ford Foundation - worked with Monisha at
      Spitfire to finalize proposal - submitting to Jenny at Ford.
      3. Supported Karen on the State Department proposal.
      4. OpenITP - financial support for Summer Dev meeting - submitted
      proposal, it was well received with an email commitment for funds and
      awaiting next steps from Karl.
   4. Knight Foundation - Outreach to Knight Foundation about events where
   journalists congregate has paid off - Karen and I have been invited to
   participate in the IRE conference in San Antonio at the end of June and
   will be at the Knight Foundation Summer Challenge Workshop in August.
    Continued to maintain connections and stay in touch about the Tor winter
   dev meeting - no firm news to report yet.
   5. “Upcoming Tor Events” on the blog - continued to be updated as I see
   things come over tor-internal. Everyone please continue to keep me in the
   loop as to where you will be in the world as a representative of Tor.
   6. Continued fielding and responding to media request through execdir -
   all requests are being captured in a tracking database.
   7. Short User Manual - began editing process - slower than had hoped.
   8. Summer Dev Meeting - worked with Melissa, Andrew, Roger and others on
   invitee list.  Invitations to the greater Tor community have started to go
   out.

Focus for June...

   1. CRM:
      1. Training and content importing - yippee!
      2. Continue to collected data - Nick, Jake and others
   2. Proposals:
      1. Submit Knight Foundation Request to “Add” to current proposal.
      2. Submit Ford Foundation Proposal
      3. Continue responding to other proposal requests and/or work with
      Karen as needed.
   3. Planning for Summer Dev Meeting:
      1. Continue sending invites to greater Tor community
      2. Market on Hack Day Events
      3. Work on (possible) Meet and Great Events
      4. Work on next generation of brochures - to review at dev meeting
      5. Confirm Jake our photographer.
   4. Continue to work on Annual Report Mailings
   5. FINISH Short User Manual
   6. Tor "Press Kit":  though hoping for June this will most likely push
   out until July - the goals is to pull together a Tor press "kit" of
   information materials (hard copy and online versions) which can be used to
   update existing Tor fans about our work and help new (potential partners)
   7. Attend the Investigative Reporters and Editors Conference in San
   Antonio
   8. Attend The Virtual Economy:  Potential, Perplexities and Promises
   event in DC

Thanks everyone for your continued support and help on things - see you in
6 weeks!
Kelley

--
*Kelley Misata*