[tor-reports] Mike's May 2013

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Wed Jun 5 01:27:49 UTC 2013

Top two things I did in May:

1. I did nothing else until I succeed in producing Gitian descriptors
and simple shell scripts capable of building reproducible TBB-alpha
bundles with Tor Launcher instead of Vidalia for all three platforms.

This means our TBB-alpha release binaries will be exactly reproducible
by anyone, and TBB-alpha release bundles will include a full description
of all the source code inputs *and* distribution packages that went into
building them. For more details, see this thread:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2013-May/004843.html

2. I also shepherded Tor Launcher and the new local about:tor homepage.
This involved design review, code review, and translation help and fixes.
The translation process is also still in transition itself, so there was
a bit of damage along the way (translated strings getting
lost/destroyed, etc). Sorry about that, everyone.

Plans for June:

1. Put out a release of TBB-alpha using Gitian.

2. Breathe a giant sigh of relief, and then immediately start dealing
with TBB-alpha bugs.

3. Recruit additional TBB-alpha package signers. We need at least two
but ideally three people to sign identical, but independently produced
Gitian builds. We'll probably decide this based on who actually manages
to reproduce our first official alpha binary.

4. Maybe merge a few Torbutton patches.

5. Deal with all of the other odds and ends I tried my best to ignore
last month.

--
Mike Perry