[tor-reports] Trip Report: World Bank and Second Muse Domestic Violence Hackathon

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Tue Jan 29 23:50:25 UTC 2013

Over the weekend, I attended the [Hacking against Domestic
Violence](https://blog.torproject.org/blog/hacking-against-domestic-violence)
event in Washington DC, sponsored by the World Bank and Second Muse. I
was there to help define problem statements, think about security and
privacy risks of the solutions, and to help judge the solutions crafted
by the attendees. A total of 10 teams congealed over the weekend.
Everyone had creative solutions to the problem statements. Generally
the sheer quality of output and enthusiasm was the first thing I
noticed about all of the teams and their apps. Everyone in DC focused
on mobile phone compatibility, even if their solution worked on the
general web itself. There are plenty of
[photos](https://www.flickr.com/photos/vdhackathon/) available from the
7 involved countries.

I ended up spending most of my time with the team working to [develop
protocols to protect survivors from
surveillance](http://vdhackathon.pbworks.com/w/page/62827130/Protocols%20to%20Protect%20Survivors%20from%20Surveillance).
We called ourselves Team Fuerza. The [full
presentation](https://people.torproject.org/~andrew/2013-01-27-dvhackathon/2013-01-27-presentation.html)
is available. A volunteer [recorded a
video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x9ubvC4Ai8) of the presentation
as well. Related images and videos are uploaded to my [Tor people
site](https://people.torproject.org/~andrew/2013-01-27-dvhackathon/).

Because I was involved with a team, I volunteered to give up my voting
rights on the judges panel to avoid any issues. I then ended up
presenting for the team for the status update and final presentation.

Overall, it was a great two days and the team made a lot of progress in
a short amount of time. A big thanks to [the
team](https://people.torproject.org/~andrew/2013-01-27-dvhackathon/WorldBankTeamFuerza-smile.jpg)
(Sarah, Az, Cid, Adriana, Andrew, and Justin), SecondMuse, the World
Bank, and all of the attendees for their efforts in holding a hackathon
in 7 countries simultaneously.

The World Bank and Second Muse should have their final press release
and announcement of the results soon.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact