[tor-reports] August status report

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Tue Dec 17 01:26:49 UTC 2013

Highlights from August:

The Big Brother Awards in the Netherlands invited me to speak at their
yearly awards ceremony:

  https://www.bigbrotherawards.nl/programma/

I was invited to participate in a Crypto Party at the Berlin
Abgeordnetenhaus. I held many hours of workshops on Tor and various
pieces of software that work together to protect user's anonymity:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/09/pirates-in-germany-dodge-the-nsas-watchful-gaze/279516/

I did code review and general hackery for various projects - mostly
TorBirdy.

I was also on Democracy Now! to discuss surveillance issues:

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/8/20/uk_media_crackdown_greenwalds_partner_detained

I hacked on the Tor Router quite a bit.

This is unrelated to Tor but if I didn't mention the following two
events. I feel that I would be remiss in something important that
happened in August. I accepted an award on behalf of Edward Snowden in
Germany from Transparency International (Germany):

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW8lRCqYI6U

Also on a personal note, I had a small debate on the BBC with a lady who
is apparently Someone Important in the UK but utterly and hilariously
uninformed:

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH4dQZw8SSE

All the best,
Jake