[tor-reports] Black Hat & DEF CON trip report

Runa A. Sandvik runa at torproject.org
Tue Aug 13 15:25:47 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I attended Black Hat and DEF CON in Vegas earlier a few weeks ago. I
gave a talk at DEF CON about safety of the Tor network [1] which
focused on network diversity, relay operators, and misbehaving relays.
I also took the time to address the topic of global dragnet
surveillance and how it affects the Tor network and its users.

I feel the talk went really well. I filled the Penn & Teller theater
(~1500 people) and was told a bunch of people were turned away at the
door. Being a first time speaker at DEF CON, I was given a whiskey
shot roughly halfway through my talk. I also had more than enough time
for questions at the end.

The questions seemed to cover a wide range of topics, from bad people
doing bad things, hidden services, and risks when running an exit
relay to NSA surveillance, Google Fiber, and how well the Tor Browser
Bundle can protect gainst bugs in Firefox*.

[1]: https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-21/dc-21-speakers.html#Sandvik

* Yep, some guy asked that question just over 12 hours *before* the
"Tor Browser 0day" story broke.

--
Runa A. Sandvik