[tor-reports] NNEDV TechSummit13 Trip Report

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Thu Aug 8 15:15:12 UTC 2013

I was invited to talk for 90 minutes at NNEDV's TechSummit 13[1]
about privacy, helping victims, and Tor. My presentation[2] covered a
quick overview of Tor, why I'm here talking about domestic violence and
intimate partner abuse, and what we're doing to help. I also included
four case studies of which highlight the role of technology in stalking
and abuse. Videos of my talk may make their way online at some point. At
the request of the audience, I walked through my World Bank Hackathon[3]
presentation to show how easy it is to infect a mobile phone and what
an abuser will get out of such an action.

The conference was held at the great Hayes Mansion[4] which allowed
for lots of informal conversations in a more relaxed atmosphere. The
attendees are a mix of advocates from around the world, law enforcement,
commercial companies (such as Apple, Facebook, Google, Verizon, Mozilla,
etc), and a number of lawyers from public and private organizations.

I could only stay for one of the three-day conference, but once again,
it was great to engage in conversations with people of all backgrounds.
Many organizations are now more aware of Tor and interested in talking
to us about using our technology and experience to help. Hopefully our
continuing commitment to helping and past experience[5] in this area
are beginning to make a difference.

Overall, it was great to be invited and worth the trip.

[1] http://nnedv.org/projects/safetynet/3701-techsummit2013.html
[2]
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/projects/presentations/2013-07-30-NNEDV-Presentation.pdf
[3]