[tor-reports] Mike's September 2012

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Fri Oct 5 17:15:50 UTC 2012

Top five things I did in September in sorted and grouped by some
combination of time, task type, and importance.

1. I closed the following trac tickets (14pts):
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?keywords=~MikePerry201209

2. I continued to direct the Tor Browser interview process (~18pts).

3. I spent some administration time on my Tor nodes and directory
authority to improve their security. I've begun the process of
documenting this setup and attempting to quantify the benefits with
respect to a valid threat model as well as the limitations. More work
remains. (~18pts).

4. My directory authority was accidentally DoSed due to some old broken
0.2.1.x relays, so I temporarily shut down my dirport. Amid the din of
outrage my highly treasonous act caused (ah, the perils of
centralization), I dusted off old trac DoS tickets, filed some new
tickets and began writing proposals to prevent trivial/accidental
dirauth DoS conditions from quite so easily destroying the Tor network
quite so quickly. (~12pts).

5. I hung out with Nick, Isis, Peter, some Noisebridgers and associated
crew for a few days during and after the Pioneer Awards. Sometimes its
important to remember we're still human, I guess.

Top five things for October:

1. Make progress on the following trac tickets:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?keywords=~MikePerry201210

2. Finish off the Tor Browser interview process.

3. Help with the Project Coordinator interview process.

4. Help start some kind of QA person interview process.

5. Trac triage maybe? Might not get to it.

--
Mike Perry