[tor-reports] What Nick did in September

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Oct 1 16:21:18 UTC 2012

That time comes again.

In September I:
 o Went to San Francisco to accept a 2012 EFF Pioneer Award on Tor's
behalf, and also met with some Tor folks there and organized a hacking
event at Noisebridge.
 o Merged and reviewed a bunch of code, and fixed a nice pile of bugs.
I think 0.2.3.x could probably be called "stable" now.
 o Read a whole bunch of papers about cryptography, MACs, and
wide-block constructions. Started trying to summarize what I know.
 o Went through the entire bugtracker to find Tor tickets that needed
the need-proposal flag, that needed components, that needed
milestones, and so on.
 o Wrote some cool patches, including one to supersede our old ideas
for #572 .  It needs review. (Many of them need review!)

In October I must:

 o Write proposals for everything I big I want to do in 0.2.4.x that
would need a proposal but hasn't got one.  This must be done by 10
October if I am to keep my Tor 0.2.4.x deadlines credible. This will
include a final draft of support for IPv6 exit nodes, and possibly a
small revision of Ondrej's DNS proposal.
 o Prepare two internet drafts related to TLS. One will probably
concern better padding support; the other will probably be something
informational abotu fingerprinting issues.
 o Make sure that IPv6 exit nodes get implemented. (probably with Andrea)
 o Get a "what changed since the Tor design paper" blog post or series
of blog posts posted... (with Steven)
 o ... (also with Steven)
 o Provide support as needed for everybody else's October Crunch.
 o Help interview candidates for the Project Coordinator position.