[tor-reports] Andrew's October 2012

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Mon Nov 5 19:26:21 UTC 2012

# Top 5 goals from the September 2012 report
(https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2012-October/000059.html)

1. Write blog post about fake tor software. Start using our trademark
to keep the world straight on what is Tor and what is not Tor.

	Our legal adivsors suggested asking the site owners to respect
	our trademark. The heavy-handed approach is to ask the US DOJ
	to steal the domains involved. The idea of publishing the list
	of violators just gives the sites the attention they need, and
	links our domain to theirs, thereby legitimizing them in some
	ways.

	Legal processes started.

2. Finalize 2011 audit and publish all related forms (PC, 990, DCF) at
https://torproject.org/about/financials.html.en

	DCF and Audit results started. Waiting on the auditors to file
	the 990 with the IRS and PC with Dept of Revenue before
	publishing.

3. Kick off expanded BBG project. Finalize legal terms around funding
exit relays. Start paying exit relay operators.

	After a few meetings, legal terms settling into consensus.
	First organization for exit relay payments coming online in
	November.

4. Actually hire a project coordinator
(https://torproject.org/about/jobs-projectcoordinator.html.en).

	Hiring by consensus is a slow process. In any other company, a
	tech recruiter would do this work and send us only the best
	candidates. Filtering and initial phone screens with 16
	candidates continues.

5. Educate organizations working on stopping human trafficking and
sexual abuse to better understand the role of technology, tor, and how
we can help.

	Tangentially worked with the White House Task Force on
	Trafficking and talked to a few of the organizations involved.
	Made progress with local domestic violence and sex worker
	orgs.

# Top 5 goals for November 2012

1. Post our 2011 990 and Form PC on the site. Consider a blog post to
explain how the company behind Tor operates to practice more
transparency in operations. Lest the conspiracy theorists do it for us
and get it wrong.

2. Send the top three Project Coord. candidates for secondary
interviews with the team.

3. Discuss Tor and Hidden Services with the US DEA.

4. Spend three days with the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio
University, http://scrippsjschool.org/ talking about the intersection
of journalism and technology (and Tor).

5. Speak at an EADV event,
http://employersagainstdomesticviolence.org/, entitled

"Protecting Your Company and Employees from Cyberstalking:
Understanding Important Technology, Tools and Solutions

http://eadvfall2012event-eorg.eventbrite.com/"

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact