[tor-reports] Nick's post-October status report.

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Thu Nov 1 04:40:20 UTC 2012

In October, I apparently:

* Wrote proposals 206, 207 and 208: so everything I've promised to get into
0.2.4 can have a design proposal.  Discussed some other proposals on the
mailing list.
* Talked with three Serious Cryptographers off-list about our relay crypto
issues; wrote up a summary of what little I know; discussed them on the
list; learned much of what I thought I knew was wrong; learned about even
more things I need to learn about.
* Mostly implemented IPv6 exit support.  The remaining essential piece is
the ability to do DNS resolves at the exit in the case where we don't know
what kind of address we want.  Then, test, review, fix, merge.
* Outlined the two specification notes/drafts I'm supposed to deliver in
November.  One is about padding; one is about the stegotorus "chopper"
successor to obfsproxy thing.
* Made a repository for the revised Tor design paper; annotated it with a
list of approximately what to change.
* Finished writing, editing, and posting 3 blog posts about the changes to
Tor since the 2004 paper (with Steven).
* Reviewed and merged a bunch of code. (Obligatory note about how this is
kinda huge.)
* Dealt with some pretty stressful Tor releases due to remote crash bugs
and similar issues.
* Had a hurricane.
* Stressed a lot.

In November I must (for deliverables):
* Get my IPv6 exit code finished, tested, reviewed, fixed, and merged.
* Finish the Tor design paper (with Steven and maybe Paul and Roger)
* Finish my specification notes/drafts.

I must also (not for immediate deliverables):
* Pick and implement any "big features" that I need to do for the Dec 10
big feature merge deadline.  Merge and/or review "big feature" patches.
* Figure out what I've been neglecting to get my SponsorF deliverables
done, and do it.

yrs,
--
Nick