[tor-reports] Andrew's June 2012

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Mon Jul 16 01:03:59 UTC 2012

 - I attended and spoke at Personal Democracy Forum in NYC,
   http://personaldemocracy.com/conference. Had a great conversation
   with Julie about Sex Trafficking and the futility of Internet
   censorship,
   http://www.forbes.com/sites/julieruvolo/2012/06/26/sex-lies-and-suicide-whats-wrong-with-the-war-on-sex-trafficking/

 - Purged the blog of thousands of spam comments.

 - Changed all blog posts over 3 months old to set comments to read
   only. It seems spammers pick an old post and comment on it, hoping
   we won't notice it.

 - Held the Q3 board meeting.

 - Helped Melissa with the logistics of the TorDev/Hackfest week in
   Florence.

 - Implemented tickets 6213, 6162, 5986, and 6208 for website fixes.

 - Negotiated and signed a contract with BBG.

 - Attended the Knight-MIT Civic Media Conf with Karen. Knight
   announced $320k in funding for us. Karen gave a great speech about
   the project. We are one of the six chosen projects out of 1200
   aaplications.

 - Spent time hacking a budget to figure out what this new money covers
   in existing costs and what new things we can afford.

 - Got an invite from DHS to talk to the head of Mexican National Police
   Cyber Crime Unit about Tor.

 - Started investigating alternatives to Paypal, now that they are
   rejecting donations for legit users and refusing to re-process
   transactions. Two users contacted me with their frustration and with
   details of what paypal told them as to why they were rejected.

 - Handled press related to the Knight and Ethiopia announcements.

 - Failed to work 160 hours in a month, instead doing 232. It turns out
   not working so much is harder than expected, especially with travel
   and proposals due.

 - Started to think about what I can outsource in my many roles to
   help tor grow and better manage the growth we're seeing so far.

 - Paid more attention to the @torproject identi.ca and twitter accounts
   to keep up with the community.

 - Worked on final review of 2011 Audit and Form 990 from auditors.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact