[tor-reports] Philipp's December

Philipp Winter identity.function at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 15:06:13 UTC 2012

- I started a discussion about the requirements [0] for a small tool which
  should help debugging Tor censorship events (some additional discussion took
  place on the mailing list [1]). We managed to come up with some good points
  but more feedback and ideas would still be greatly appreciated.

  There is a lot of overlap with OONI. So ideally, we would just implement our
  gathered ideas as OONI tests and package it in a self-contained way for users
  to run without problems.

- I updated the censorship wiki [2] with some additional info. In particular,
  the usage statistics of Ethiopia suggest that the block is (partially?)
  lifted. Further, I added Syria to the wiki. Shortly after the Internet
  blackout, Tor stopped working. In fact, relays *and* bridges which points
  towards DPI boxes rather than IP blocks. We don't know if it's the BlueCoat
  boxes or something else. The usage statistics go up and down and at this point
  we only know that obfsproxy is still working.

Cheers,
Philipp

[0] https://censorshipwiki.torproject.org/TorCensorshipAnalyzer
[1] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2012-December/004278.html