[tor-reports] George's status report: November 2012

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Mon Dec 3 13:41:12 UTC 2012

Hi,

this is a list of some Tor stuff I did during November:

- Created a ticket to help organise the deployment of pluggable
  transports: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/7319

- Collected all the tickets related to Pluggable Transport support in
  Vidalia. Tomás is too busy these days to take care of them.

- Wrote instructions on how to setup an obfsproxy bridge on Debian/Ubuntu:
  Roger improved them and they are currently in:
  https://www.torproject.org/projects/obfsproxy-debian-instructions.html.en

- Added some pluggable transport information to the bridge
  documentation page: https://www.torproject.org/docs/bridges.html.en

- Started researching and developing obfs3, an improved version of the
  obfs2 pluggable transport. The proposed protocol currently looks
  like this:
  https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/asn/pyobfsproxy.git/blob/refs/heads/obfs3:/doc/obfs3-protocol-spec.txt

  The current implementation uses curve25519 to do ECDH, but
  curve25519 public keys don't look random enough on the wire and we
  will probably need to use a curve similar to the one that Telex
  uses.

  Ian, Philipp and Roger helped a lot with this.

- Wrote lots of pyobfsproxy code. I'm currently testing its obfs2
  support in a public bridge: it seems to work nicely.

- Wrote a proposal for an Extended ORPort authentication scheme:
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2012-November/004185.html

- Implemented the Extended ORPort Authentication proposal. I have a
  complete prototype implementation that I currently test. I need to
  improve some code, squash it and push it for review. I also
  implementated the client-side of the proposal in pyobfsproxy.