[tor-reports] Andrew's July 2012

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Fri Aug 3 19:51:06 UTC 2012

# July 2012

 - Traveled to Italy for the [dev
 meeting](https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2012SummerDevMeeting)
 and
 [hackfest](https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2012FlorenceHackfest)
 at the University of Firenze. The meeting notes can be [found
 here](https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2012SummerDevMeeting/Notes).

 - In order to help facilitate and be generally available for the
 30-50 people traveling to the meetings, bought a SIM card with [Wind
 Mobile](http://www.wind.it). They required a copy of my passport or
 they refused service. As explained to me, this is to stop mobile phone
 crime relating to the mafia. Two days later, found out 20-40 people are
 registering SIM cards with my passport data. Filed notice of theft with
 Wind Mobile. I'm a human tor relay now.  Apparently I need to fly back
 to Rome to file a police report in the same precinct where I bought
 the SIM card. Glad the Italian internet is crime free with all of this
 forced identity.

 - Helped run [PETS 2012](http://petsymposium.org/2012/) as Treasurer.

 - Met some people in
 [Paris](https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2012-July/000007.html).

 - Managed to clear out a backlog of operational and bureaucratic work.

 - Continued to investigate alternative donation options, as Paypal
 continues to reject or question donations to us. Dwolla, direct credit
 card acceptance, and bitcoin all seem far more attractive now.
 Research and conversations continue.

 - Worked with three organizations to submit proposals to the [EI
 DHR](http://www.eidhr.eu/files/dmfile/MicrosoftPowerPoint-EIDHR_FORUM2012_CfPObj1_publ.pdf)
 call for proposals.

 - As part of the proposal process, discovered that the [EC blocks
 access](https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2012-July/024941.html)
 from Tor exit relays.

 - Karen and I had a long lunch with a journalist from [MIT Tech
 Review](https://www.technologyreview.com/) about all things Tor and
 trying to prognosticate the future.

 - Helped facilitate tor devs talking to
 [startpage](https://startpage.com/) when [error
 messages](https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/6151)
 appeared for Tor Browser users. Had a great conversation with the CEO
 of Startpage/Ixquick. Derived a temporary solution until both tor and
 ixquick devs can work on a permanent one.

 - Had a discussion with a marketing organization looking to help improve
 Tor's branding and image globally, possibly pro-bono or funded through
 other means than us directly.

 - Had a series of discussions with investigators from the US Dept
 of Commerce about export controls, tor, and other technologies being
 investigated.

 - Karen, Roger, and I had a discussion with the [DNA
 Foundation](http://dnafoundation.org/) about human trafficking and how
 Tor can be used for good in this scenario.

 - Updated the website a bit to close some open bugs, features, and
 general maintenance around the site and mirrors of the website. See [my
 commits](https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-commits/2012-July/author.html)
 here.

 - The main backup server had a double drive failure. Swapped drives
 and rebuilt the system. Peter took over to get the apps and backup
 programs setup again.

 - [Interviewed](http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20120719_Tech_Life__Fostering_anonymity_online.html)
   by the Philadelphia Inquirer about my involvement in Tor.

 - Tor joined the [Internet Defense
 League](http://internetdefenseleague.org/) to help keep the Internet
 free and open, at least in the US.

 - Tor joined the [Open Invention
 Network](http://openinventionnetwork.com/) to help protect open source
 and free software from the software patent tax.

 - The NSF agreed to fund our proposal with
 Georgia Tech and Princeton, award number
 [CNS-1111539](http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward.do?AwardNumber=1111539)

 - Reviewed 2011 final audit statements and results. 2011 Form 990 is
 almost complete. Both will be posted on the website when finalized and
 accepted by the Board.

 - Spent some time with Roger thinking about 2012 and 2013 budgets.

 - Spent some time with Roger thinking about the [exit relay
 funding](https://blog.torproject.org/blog/turning-funding-more-exit-relays)
 initiative and how to scale it beyond the initial funding from BBG
 relating to how much we can handle and how quickly we can handle it.

 - Finished off the month talking to DHS CyberCrime team along with the
 Mexican Federal Police visiting the office in Boston about Tor.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact