[tor-relays] Artikel 5 e.V. - Another police raid in Germany - general assembly on Sep 21st 2024

George Hartley hartley_george at proton.me
Mon Sep 9 09:20:52 UTC 2024

It would be a shame if all your nodes would go offline, I live in Germany and while raids were more common 10 years ago, it's sad to hear that this still happens to this date.

Ultimately, it just shows how illiterate the police is about the
Telemediengesetz.

Do you run these nodes at home using your own routers and IPv4 addresses, possibly by using a business cable / fiber plan?

If not, then I do not see the need to raid the homes of exit operators, as even in Germany, most police agents are aware of Tor and some of the abuse (Child porn, and so on) that it is used for, however this only represents a single digit percentage of it's users.

Do your IPv4/IPv6 ranges have a WHOIS comment regarding the circumstance that they are used for Tor (exit) nodes?

I run a single ~75 MBit/s relay in a VM on my friends colocated server, in a non-crowded datacenter which has 12 Tor nodes in total last time I checked, albeit in the USA, so there are zero links to me and my personal information (even this e-mail address and it's associated name is just a made-up name).

Anyway, don't let this demoralize anyone in your organization, this is likely a wanted side-effect of the raid, and we desperately need more nodes in order to make sure that as many clients as possible are not routed through surveillance agency hosted nodes which have yet to be found and removed from the network.

Stay strong,
George