[tor-relays] We need to talk about the latest DDoS affecting the Tor network

carlos1001 tor-relay-admin at carlos1001.com
Sat May 25 08:20:38 UTC 2024

Hi, yes, I think there is a form of DDoS happening, but I'm not sure.
For example, sampling one of my relays shows ~150 ips that are not
relays with over 14 connections currently. I don't think that amount of
connections from a single IP makes a lot of sense.

I will say, however, I'm not getting overloaded as bad compared to last
year/late 2022, or I don't think I am at least. Banning IPs that appear
to be spamming `connect()` helps a bit. Also banning malformed tcp
segments also helps a bit (think impossible combinations of TCP flags
for example).