[tor-relays] Tor Relay Operator Meetup - Saturday, April 13, 2024 at 19 UTC

gus gus at torproject.org
Mon May 6 17:00:37 UTC 2024

Hi,

Here are the meetup notes from April 2024. Sorry for sharing it only now.

The next meetup will happen this Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 19 UTC.
Feel free to add your topics here:
https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-relay-may24-meetup-keep

cheers,
Gus

## Notes - Tor Relay Operator Meetup - April 13rd, 2024 @ 19 UTC

- Announcements:
 - New Network Health Team lead
   Read more about the network health team, and its goals and
priorities, at https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/team

 - 0.4.7 EOL removal
   Dir auths upgraded to 0.4.8.11 and relays running 0.4.7 were removed.
Dir auth Serge will upgrade to 0.4.8.11 sometime in May as getting new
bridges is harder than getting new relays.  If you don't upgrade your
logs will tell you that you need to upgrade.

 - Relay operator census: <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2024-March/021580.html>
   Please fill out their survey! It takes some time to answer the
questions, but it is helpful to us for understanding our community. Even
if you used to run a relay and don't now, it's still useful. We will
publish the results of the survey in an anonymous way. It is funded by
OTF to fund fellowships for the people working on it. 80 responses so
far, which is good since it's only been publicized on the mailing list.
Next step is to mail the ContactInfo addresses for relay operators to
let them know about it.

English: https://survey.torproject.org/index.php/751125?lang=en
Spanish: https://survey.torproject.org/index.php/751125?lang=es

 - Tor-Weather 2.0 Release: <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2024-March/021578.html>
   Tor weather is a service to notify you when your relay or bridge goes down.

 - New directory authority, tor26, and upcoming return of directory authority, Faravahar.
   Not because of any compromise or anything -- it's because tor26
moved to new hardware and a new internet location, so he decided it was
a good time to rotate to fresh keys.

 - Updates on the (D)dos situation Some relay operators are still seeing
   an ongoing overload, and some users were seeing speed issues. It
sounds like some guards are overloaded and some are less.  It sounds
like exit relay operators are less impacted by this recent issue.  What
in particular is overloaded? Memory, sockets, bandwidth? We don't know
-- the "overloaded" flag on relay-search doesn't tell us more specifics.

- Elections 2024: previous (March) / next round (April) Russia: before
  the elections, they blocked ntc.party, which is a major resource for
internet censorship discussion/advice. After the elections, they blocked
one further Tor website mirror. It looks like some of our other mirrors,
e.g. tor.eff.org, had been blocked already there.  Downloads via
official site (dist.torproject.org, not www.torproject.org) still work
though.  Upcoming elections in India, Panama, Dominican Republic, South
Africa For India, check out https://internetshutdowns.in/ run by SFLC in
India. As you've seen from the transparency reports there, the number of
internet shutdowns is in the past five years is unprecedented.

- New policy: guidelines for sustainability and incentivization proposals for the Tor network.
  - If you want to get some background on past tor incentive designs, check out https://blog.torproject.org/tor-incentives-research-roundup-goldstar-par-braids-lira-tears-and-torcoin/ (now 10 years old!)
  - The new meta-proposal for how to structure your sustainability / incentives ideas will go public after some more interaction between Tor stakeholders before opening to the community.
  - Another ideas raised: small grants proposal, to do trainings for relay operators in areas or situations or countries where we need more participation.
  - Other ideas: it would be great for somebody to explore a badge-based gamification idea. Some of the work involved: what exactly do we want to incentivize?
  - Link: https://community.torproject.org/policies/relays/001-community-relay-operator-process/

# Questions & Answers

* Q: zimmer family hitting max descriptor size
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/issues/40837
Any news on a possible solution to this ongoing issue?
This is due to zimmer's family being really big. The eventual plan is to
move to a new design, e.g.
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/blob/main/proposals/321-happy-families.md
But the network team doesn't want to spend time working on C-Tor, and
Arti relays are more than a year off, so we're in an awkward holding
pattern.

* Q: the tor-relays@ list needs a moderator now that geko is taking a
break. There are several queued messages from last week.