[tor-relays] GeoIPFile option warning

Gisle Vanem gvanem at yahoo.no
Mon Mar 25 11:55:59 UTC 2024

krishna e bera wrote:

> I am seeing these warnings in Tor's notices.log:
>
> Mar 24 09:42:21.000 [notice] Configured to measure directory request statistics, but no GeoIP database found. Please
> specify a GeoIP database using the GeoIPFile option.
> Mar 24 09:42:21.000 [notice] Configured to measure entry node statistics, but no GeoIP database found. Please specify a
> GeoIP database using the GeoIPFile option.
>
> However the option is set in torrc and i verified the files are at those locations and readable by all:
>
> GeoIPFile /usr/local/share/tor/geoip
> GeoIPv6File /usr/local/share/tor/geoip6
>
> Any hints how i could check whether the warnings are spurious or dump what the running config actually is?  I know it is
> reading the torrc because introducing an error in the file stops it from loading.

Do you get such notices:
   Mar 25 12:43:29.000 [notice] Parsing GEOIP IPv4 file f:\Mingw32\src\inet\Tor-Project\src\config\geoip.
   Mar 25 12:43:29.000 [notice] Parsing GEOIP IPv6 file f:\Mingw32\src\inet\Tor-Project\src\config\geoip6.

in your .log-files? If not, 'tor_fopen_cloexec()' fails to read them.

I'm on Windows (as you see) and thus have no issue with this
'FD_CLOEXEC' non-sense that your may have.

Or try running 'scripts/maint/geoip/update_geoip.sh'.

--
--gv