[tor-relays] Worse throughput with 0.4.8.x, on a slow CPU

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.net
Mon Mar 4 21:01:39 UTC 2024

On Tue, 2 Jan 2024 22:55:50 -0500
Jeff Blum <jeff at mulb.us> wrote:

> Yes, I am seeing something similar on 0.4.8.9 (and potentially earlier
> versions as well, not 100% sure when it started). I upgraded to 0.4.8.10
> today hoping it would go away, but I'm seeing it again. Watching in nyx
> (screenshot of bandwidth graph attached), reliably every ~30 seconds, I
> see the bandwidth briefly plummet and the tor process CPU spike. Guard
> relay running in docker under ubuntu server on a Ryzen 3600 machine with
> 32GB RAM. Note that when the relay restarted after the upgrade today, it
> didn't do this for a while (maybe an hour or so? wasn't watching it the
> whole time), but then started glitching every 30s. Once it starts it
> does this every ~30 seconds forever. Relay has been running like this
> for weeks, maybe months.

Yeah, on a more powerful host it crashes from 650 Mbit to 400 Mbit for a
couple of seconds, on a clockwork-like regular schedule like you described.
Hard to imagine devs would not have any idea what could cause specifically
this.

I am retiring my relays as soon as 0.4.7 is banned (due to a number of other
reasons as well, though).

--
With respect,
Roman