[tor-relays] Quick Assist Technology and Tor?

mail at nothingtohide.nl mail at nothingtohide.nl
Mon Jun 24 20:33:26 UTC 2024

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Alex! That mailing list thread is great and contains quite some relevant pointers.

Some of my current Tor hardware (Intel C3958) is actually QAT compatible (it's the one mentioned even) so based on the information in the thread I activated to experiment:
- Kernel TLS
- Kernel TLS for AES-CBC
- QAT kernel module
- QAT itself
- HardwareAccel 1 in torrc

I'll monitor the differences, although I doubt it will be this simple. I also have to look in to how I can even verify that QAT and/or kTLS are being used. It's a new territory for me :). Looks like there are stats available for kTLS at least in sysctl.

In between the previous mailing list thread and this one, support for OpenSSL 3.0 has been greatly improved it seems by the way.

Also about RSA-1024: Intel documentation says it's "Opt-in" [1]. Any idea how one can opt-in? I can't find any sysctl parameters for this in FreeBSD.

Cheers and thanks again,

tornth

[1] https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000093843/technologies/intel-quickassist-technology-intel-qat.html

Jun 24, 2024, 21:53 by tor-relays at lists.torproject.org: