[tor-relays] Relay bandwidth issue

kricklen at tutanota.com kricklen at tutanota.com
Wed Jun 5 10:45:10 UTC 2024

Hello everyone,

i got a local relay running with v0.4.8.11 and the following configuration:

RelayBandwidthRate 4 MBytes
RelayBandwidthBurst 7 MBytes
ExitPolicy reject *:*
ExitRelay 0
SocksPort 0

About a month ago, the relay started to behave differently than it used to:
A few hours after each restart, it didn't respect the bandwidth limits anymore, meaning it took what it could get. After a while my isp interrupts my connection, i guess because of exhaustive traffic or connections being established, not sure.

This leads to the following loop:
1. The relay notices it's ip changed and starts over
2. It consumes max bandwidth after a while
3. The isp disconnects
4. Start at 1, until after enough loops the relay is broken and doesn't connect anymore

I'm not sure what caused the different behaviour, i don't have a close look on when my relay gets an update. The issue is severe for me though, so any help in fixing the bandwidth limit again would be really appreciated.

--
 Sent with Tuta; enjoy secure & ad-free emails:
 https://tuta.com