[tor-relays] Onion Services operators please enable tor PoW defense

gus gus at torproject.org
Wed Jun 5 12:50:20 UTC 2024

Hi,

As some of you might have noticed, we have a high load situation on the
network for a couple of weeks now affecting in particular onion services
(but not only them).[1]

We recommend Onion Services operators to enable our Proof of Work (PoW)
defense[2][3] and finetune their torrc[4].

If you're running onion services with onionbalance, though, PoW is
currently not supported[5], but we're interested in hearing from you if
this is a feature that we should prioritize.

Thanks,
Gus

ps: this advice does not apply to relay operators, only to onion services operators.

[1] https://status.torproject.org/issues/2024-05-14-network-performance-issues/
[2] https://blog.torproject.org/introducing-proof-of-work-defense-for-onion-services/
[3] https://community.torproject.org/onion-services/ecosystem/technology/pow/
[4] https://community.torproject.org/onion-services/advanced/dos/